Hulotech drives medical innovation by 3D printing medical prosthetics with HP Multi Jet Fusion

Hulotech leverages HP 3D Printing to improve the creation of 3D printed prosthetic sockets.



Healthcare: Custom prosthetics


HP 3D High Reusability (HR)2 PA 12


To decrease production time and improve the quality of prosthetics and other medical devices.



HP Multi Jet Fusion technology

HP Jet Fusion 4200 3D Printer


HP 3D Printing allows Hulotech to provide healthcare providers with innovative products quickly and more affordably.



The gap in customized medical devices

Hulotech works with clients in the medical industry to provide engineering and 3D printing services such as industrial design and reverse engineering of production and spare parts, as well as customized parts for customers.
"One of the big challenges in the medical industry is that parts are always customized,” said Richt Loorbach, Technical Director at Hulotech. “For Hulotech to compete in that market, we needed a 3D printing solution that would allow us to deliver production-level quality very quickly."

"If you look to the prosthetics industry, the traditional manufacturing method involving taking a plaster cast to develop a handmade socket requires a long lead time, and it is difficult to create a perfect fit," said Arjan Huiting, Managing Director at Hulotech.
Since its founding, Hulotech has always been involved with 3D printing, but often experienced limitations like poor surface quality and slow production speeds when attempting to produce 3D printed prosthetic sockets. To better meet customers’ needs, Hulotech began exploring new 3D printing technologies.

View solution

“HP MJF met our needs for quality, helped deliver parts faster, and allowed us the freedom to create more complex products that we could not have created otherwise.”

Richt Loorbach, Technical Director, Hulotech


3D printing medical prosthetic devices with HP Multi Jet Fusion

Hulotech first heard about HP 3D Printing in 2016 and began researching how it might support the needs of the medical industry. They discovered that the fine detail made possible by HP Multi Jet Fusion (MJF) technology could help them reduce or eliminate much of the finishing work they experienced when 3D-printing medical prosthetics with other technologies.

Hulotech also found that the speed of HP MJF would help them deliver parts more quickly, creating a uniquely competitive advantage among medical providers. With a prosthetic socket, for example, the traditional process could take weeks or even months, but 3D printed prosthetic sockets produced with HP MJF could be manufactured and delivered to customers in just a few days.

In late 2017, Hulotech became the first company in the Netherlands to acquire the HP Jet Fusion 4200 3D Printing Solution.

View results


Precise 3D printed prosthetic sockets, faster

The main reason Hulotech invested in HP’s 3D Printing technology was the fast production time of parts,” says Huiting. "Today an order is placed, and tomorrow a customer can use it with their patients."
The speed of 3D printing medical prosthetics with HP MJF has created a considerable business opportunity for Hulotech. Prior to their relationship with HP, Hulotech generated only 20% of its business through 3D printing, while the other 80% was derived from engineering services. Now the company anticipates that 80% of its revenue will be derived from 3D printing.

In addition to the improved speed, Hulotech is also able to make parts that are more precise than ever.
Hulotech’s new capabilities provide significant advantages for clinicians and other professionals in the medical industry.
"HP’s Jet Fusion 3D Printing Solutions provide products that are stronger and lighter compared to traditional materials," said Peter De Groot, Chief Procurement Officer at OIM Orthopedie. "I would highly recommend Hulotech and HP to my colleagues in other companies."
With HP’s Jet Fusion 3D Printing Solutions, Hulotech is in a unique position to meet their goals of enhancing and restoring patients’ active lifestyles all over the world.

Interested in learning more about HP 3D Printing Solutions?

Contact Us

View more case studies


  1. All images data courtesy of  Hulotech
  2. HP Jet Fusion 3D Printing Solutions using HP 3D High Reusability PA 12 provide up to 80% powder reusability ratio, producing functional parts batch after batch. For testing, material is aged in real printing conditions and powder is tracked by generations (worst case for reusability). Parts are then made from each generation and tested for mechanical properties and accuracy.