When you think of a business-class printer that can produce thousands of pages a month, a laser printer most likely comes to mind. But what about the cost? Aren’t laser printers usually more expensive than their inkjet cousins?
Thanks to the new HP Neverstop laser printer
, you no longer have to choose between quantity, quality, and cost. See why the first entry-level, cartridge-less laser ink tank printer is making waves and changing the game in our HP Neverstop laser printer review.
What is the HP Neverstop Laser Printer?
HP has developed a handful of printers referred to as "Neverstop.” They’re laser printers that solely produce black-and-white prints, and they are ideal for home offices
, schools, small businesses, and co-working spaces.
Toner tank means no cartridges
Unlike most other laser printers, there are no expensive or bulky cartridges to replace. Instead you have a refillable toner tank. When the printer senses there is less than half of the toner powder left in the tank, it notifies you to order a replacement.
You can continue using the printer in this “low” mode, giving your replacement toner time to arrive before you completely run out. When your new toner comes, you simply fill the toner powder bin with a very tidy replacement kit.
A range of HP Neverstop models
The HP Neverstop printer line has several models to choose from, each with its own unique features. The most affordable model is also the most basic, offering wireless printing without scanning or copying.
The premium models give you additional perks for a modest extra cost. They are true multifunction printers with scanning, copying, and printing available at the touch of a button.
All of the HP Neverstop printers are designed to help you get your printing budget in line. With an initial output of 5,000 pages from what comes in the box, you'll be well on your way to affordable printing from the moment of setup. The printer works with the HP SmartApp, too, so anyone familiar with other HP printers will have no problem getting the hang of this new device.
What is HP Smart app?
HP Neverstop laser printer features and benefits
Like most HP printers made for the home office or small business, these printers feature a compact design and are light enough to easily move as needed. But what are the other benefits?
Streamlined setup and maintenance
You won’t need a professional office equipment rep to help with delivery or installation. Streamline setup with the HP Smart app. Just plug in and download; no drivers or discs needed. Plus, the printer automatically handles its own maintenance through its programming. Aside from adding paper and refilling the toner, the HP Neverstop requires very little upkeep. It’s also one of the best small laser printers
Great prints at great speeds
Because it uses laser technology, print jobs will be crisp and professional-looking. You’ll also get your first page within seconds of waking up the unit from sleep mode. It’s designed to get print jobs started fast, even with hours between requests. Once printing, expect 21 pages-per-minute (ppm) in black and white.
This printer is quiet as well, so you can use it in a home office without worrying about waking up the kids or interrupting an important conference call.
Wireless printing and other tasks
The printer uses HP’s wireless printing technology to set up the printer and keep it connected to your secured network. Anyone on the network can send the printer jobs, and those with access to the HP SmartApp can scan, copy, and print from their mobile devices
(for the multifunction printer model only). For additional security, you can choose to connect your printer via Ethernet, as well.
Environmentally friendly design
HP Neverstop products use a continuous Toner Reload Kit made from 75% recycled content. There are no bulky toner cartridges to replace, so less plastic trash ends up in the landfill. When it’s time to refill your toner, simply shake the refill, insert, twist, and plunge.
And since this HP laser tank printer is designed to refill instead of swap cartridges, it also uses more of the toner you buy. There are no little bits of toner powder left in “empty” cartridges. HP’s Neverstop toner system actually has an 84% smaller environmental footprint, saving the equivalent of 28 gallons of gas from carbon emissions over its lifetime.
How to set up your HP Neverstop laser printer
Once you receive your HP Neverstop laser printer, setup is a breeze:
- Remove the packaging, tape, and padding material from in and around the printer.
- Open the top cover and find the orange handle attached to the protective sheet covering the imaging drum. Pull it to remove the sheet. Close the cover.
- Insert the paper tray into the slot in the front of the printer, and slide out the paper guides as far as they will go.
- Insert sheets of clean, new white printer paper into the paper tray. Then, push the paper guides back in until they touch the edges of the paper.
- Slide the input tray cover on, so that you can’t see the paper. Grab the output bin extension and pull it out gently.
- Plug in your printer. It will turn on. Avoid using a USB cable at this point.
- If you have the HP Smart app installed on your computer, it should find the software and install it automatically. This is most common if you've used HP printers before. If not, go to 123.HP.com to find and download the most recent software and drivers for the printer and follow the steps provided to finish the installation.
You’re now ready to print! You can print up to 5,000 pages with what’s included in your printer box. When you have about half of the toner left, the light on your printer will notify you that it’s time to order a refill.
HP Neverstop laser printer cost
The basic, print-only HP Neverstop Laser 1001nw unit costs under $300 and includes everything you need for your first 5,000 prints. The HP Neverstop Laser MFP 1202w includes print, copy, and scan features for under $350.
The cost for an HP Neverstop laser toner refill kit is less than a toner cartridge and gives you up to 2,500 pages of Original HP Toner, a significant savings over many alternatives. For those who need black-and-white print documents with sharp lines, this is a budget-friendly way to go. You’ll spend less than a penny a print for most jobs.
Tips for getting the most from your HP Neverstop laser printer
The HP Neverstop laser printer is a gamechanger for anyone who wants quality, fast prints with little hassle. These additional troubleshooting tips can help you get the best experience:
- Only use new clean printer paper, and don’t fill the input tray over the fill line or above 150 sheets at a time. If the printer has trouble picking up the paper from the feed tray, make sure the paper isn’t folded, bent, damp, or dirty.
- New stacks of paper may stick together. To separate individual pages, remove the stack of paper from the feeder tray, and gently flex the entire stack back and forth slightly with both hands before reinserting the stack into the feeder tray.
- Dirt and dust can accumulate on the rollers that feed the paper into the printer. Refer to directions for cleaning your printer roller if problems occur.
- If the printer appears offline or fails to print jobs sent to it from a computer or mobile device, consider turning off the printer and turning it off again. Also make sure it's not in sleep mode. If this doesn't solve the problem, see the printer offline mode troubleshooter guide.
- If print quality suffers, check your toner level. Always use genuine HP refills kits and order them well before you run out.
How to save more money on printing
The HP Neverstop printer is designed to help you print economically, so you'll save money simply by using one. With an output of around 2,500 pages per month and an initial print capacity of 5,000 pages out of the box, it's easy to see how it's one of the least expensive ways to print black-and-white jobs with a professional look.
Avoid toner and paper waste
Your HP Neverstop printer will tell you when it’s time to order more ink via the indicator light. This goes off at half-full, so you’ll still have 2,500 pages of printing left to get your refill kit and add it. If you decide to add the toner before you run out, you can.
In fact, keeping your HP Neverstop printer from running completely empty can help you avoid wasting paper and toner on poor quality prints and will help you keep your printer running efficiently.
Use sleep mode
For more savings, consider allowing your printer to go into sleep mode when not being used. This saves power while still letting you print quickly without a long warm-up time.
Keep your printer updated
Stay safe from malware
and enjoy the best possible printing experience by keeping your computer’s operating system and the printer firmware updated
. Your HP Neverstop printer should last you many thousands of prints and is rated for up to 20,000 pages per month with a recommended 2,500 pages.
Consider an HP Care Pack
While you get a 1-year limited warranty with your purchase, you can get the most use out of your investment by purchasing the optional HP Care Pack
with your printer. For an additional charge, you can choose between 2 or 3 years of next-business-day replacement for your printer, plus customer support and setup help when you need it most.
Is the HP Neverstop laser printer for you?
If you need business-quality prints at a fraction of the price of larger commercial laser printers, the HP Neverstop is a must-have. This home LaserJet printer saves more than money, too, thanks to its environmentally-friendly features. It’s a business solution you can buy with the confidence of knowing you’ll have your print needs covered.
Shop HP Neverstop Printers