When purchasing a new PC, it’s easy to overlook warranty options or decline coverage altogether for one reason or another. Maybe you don’t think you need it because you take great care of your devices, or perhaps you’d rather not tack on additional costs. The thing is, PCs may require repairs for various reasons, often outside your control.
When considering coverage for a new PC, it’s important to first think about your needs. For instance, will you require immediate repairs if something goes awry? Or could you wait a day or two for service? Also think about whether you’re prone to causing damage to or losing your device, and whether you want those covered by your warranty.
With the HP Care Pack
system, which is available with any new device from HP, you can choose from flexible options depending on the type of coverage you want. The coverage options also depend on the device that you purchase, because printers and laptops, for instance, have varying levels of protection depending on the specific item.
What is an HP Care Pack?
An HP Care Pack is an upgrade or extension of the standard 1-year warranty that HP offers with all of its devices. With the standard warranty, HP provides the repair or replacement of parts that may be defective, and it also covers shipping costs for these repairs – something that not all PC manufacturers do.
The HP Care Pack is an upgrade on top of the standard warranty, available for purchase. There are HP Care Pack coverage options available for different lines of desktops, laptops, printers, and business PCs.
Benefits of the HP Care Pack
One of the greatest advantages of HP Care Pack coverage is the number of options you have at your disposal. Depending on the services you choose, you can add accidental damage protection, theft and loss protection, and even next-business-day, onsite hardware support for HP desktops and laptops.
1. Accidental damage protection
Get stress-free coverage for accidental damage protection (ADP) to cover drops, spills, power surges, and more. Whether it’s your work-from-home device, your child’s school-from-home Chromebook, or the family workstation, accidents can happen to anyone. Supplement your free manufacturer’s warranty with an ADP Care Pack for added peace of mind.
2. Advanced exchange hardware support
You can add up to 3 years of next-business-day  advanced exchange hardware support to your plan, depending on your device. It’s available with select business laptops, and allows you to have a replacement unit shipped by the next business day in the event that you (or an IT professional at your business) can’t repair it through remote technical assistance.
3. Remote technical assistance
Another great benefit of the HP Care Pack services? Remote technical assistance. PC issues are often tied to software and not hardware, so it’s possible you may be able to resolve your problem remotely. And you’ll do so with step-by-step help from HP tech support and installation service teams, who will make sure you’ve done everything possible before you need to physically send in your printer or computer.
4. Seven-day turn-around for repairs
If you do need to ship your device to an HP-designated repair center, you can feel confident knowing that your device will be repaired and shipped back within 7 business days.
One final core benefit is that you can add the HP Care Pack coverage to your existing standard warranty. As soon as the initial year lapses, your HP Care Pack will immediately pick up the slack.
HP Care Pack benefits at a glance:
- HP hardware next-business-day advance exchange service (depending on the package)
- Next-business-day onsite hardware support for HP desktops and laptops
- Device repair by experts with genuine HP parts
- Optional accidental damage protection that covers spills, drops, falls, and more
- Optional theft protection
- Remote telephone support
- HP installation service
- Offsite repair and replacement
- Adds post-warranty coverage after the standard warranty expires
What does HP extended warranty cover?
HP extended warranty provides 24/7 remote technical assistance. This around-the-clock service is essential and it’s available from anywhere in the world, you can even use it if your laptop stops working during a trip abroad. You can access remote technical assistance either via a telephone call or chat support, both of which will help you diagnose any problems with your PC.
Unlike many other forms of insurance, the coverage is refundable through a rebate program if you don't use your warranty throughout its lifespan. This means there’s really no risk to buying it – it’s there in case you need it, and you’ll get your money back in the form of a rebate if you don’t.
Another great perk? The HP extended warranty covers shipping costs when you do need to send in your device to a designated repair center. Then, once they receive your device, they’ll finish the repairs and send it back to you within 7 business days. Depending on the plan you choose, you can opt to receive offsite or onsite repairs.
HP extended warranty coverage perks:
- 24/7 remote technical assistance
- Included shipping costs for depot repairs (through prepaid shipping label and box)
- Repairs, parts and labor, and device replacements if needed
- Other services can be added depending on your needs
- Rebate program: if you don't use your warranty you can get your money back
Types of HP Care Pack coverage
There are a variety of HP Care Packs to choose from. Each offers something different, with plans available for different models of laptops, desktops, printers, and business PCs. All plans offer between 2 to 3 years of coverage, although you can only generally extend post-warranty plans for up to 1 year.
Every type of HP Care Pack is cost-effective. All coverage options come with 24/7 support, even when traveling
. You can also find accidental damage and theft protection coverage for many laptop models, which is ideal for those who want to safeguard their computers from harm.
While the features of your personal HP Care Pack purchase will vary, you can expect yours to include some of the following coverage:
- Onsite protection plan: Covers on-site, next-business-day service and provides 24/7 technical support
- Post-warranty plan: Extended device protection after your base warranty expires.
- Onsite protection plan with accidental damage coverage: Allows for repair or replacement for accidental drops, spills, or electrical surges.
- Onsite laptop protection with theft protection coverage: If your device is stolen, HP can lock your device, track it. If the device is not recoverable then it can be replaced. Also offers hard drive wipes in the event of recovery.
- Offsite protection plan: Cost-effective alternative to onsite protection plan, covers shipping to depot, repairs, and parts and labor. Repairs are completed within 7 business days.
- Onsite and offsite protection plans: These are for either 2 or 3 years. Note that the post-warranty plan is generally for 1 year.
HP Care Packs available to purchase
There are 4 categories of HP Care Packs available for purchase, and they depend on the type of device you’re buying. As we’ve mentioned, you can receive coverage for just about any device you purchase from HP, within these categories:
- Laptop Care Packs: Available for laptops including the HP OMEN X, select HP Pavilions, and HP Spectres, at rates starting below $40.
- Desktop Care Packs: Available for desktop PCs including select HP ENVYs and HP Pavilions, at rates starting around $150.
- Printer Care Packs: Available for HP LaserJet, HP ENVY and HP DeskJet models, and more, at rates starting below $20.
- Business Care Packs: Available for select business laptops, desktops, and workstations, at rates starting below $30.
An HP Care Pack offers incredible value and is worth considering with any eligible HP device. Many of the HP extended warranty options cover accidental damage and theft – a rarity among manufacturer warranties – and they also offer unparalleled service and support for any repairs or replacements for your device.
When selecting an HP Care Pack for your new computer or printer, carefully consider all of the options depending on what you think you may need, including accidental damage and theft protection. Even if you don't end up using your HP extended warranty, you can receive a rebate for the cost of the plan, making it a no-brainer to add coverage at checkout.
 HP Care Pack service levels and response times may vary depending on your geographic location. Service starts on date of hardware purchase. Restrictions and limitations apply. For details, visit www.hp.com/go/cpc. HP Services are governed by the applicable HP terms and conditions of service provided or indicated to Customer at the time of purchase. Customer may have additional statutory rights according to applicable local laws, and such rights are not in any way affected by the HP terms and conditions of service or the HP Limited Warranty provided with your HP Product.
About the Author: Daniel Horowitz is a contributing writer for HP Tech Takes. Daniel is a New York-based author and has written for publications such as USA Today, Digital Trends, Unwinnable Magazine, and many other media outlets.