2022 HP Sustainable Impact Report
Executive Summary

2022 HP Sustainable Impact Report
Executive Summary

Letter from our President and CEO

For more than 80 years, HP has prided itself on being a purpose-driven company that, through the technology we create and the values we uphold, contributes to a better future.

I am immensely proud of the work our teams are doing to carry on these values It’s not always been easy, and we don’t always get it right. No company does. But we are making steady progress, knowing that the long-term success of our business depends upon the wellbeing of the people and communities we serve.


This mindset was instilled in the culture of HP by our founders and today, it has never been more important. Because when you think about the sheer scale of the challenges we face—from the growing threats of climate change to persistent inequality—it’s clear we have a lot more work ahead.


Moving forward, it won’t be enough to merely do less harm. We must do more good. And we need to go further than ever before: We need to Go Beyond.

Go Beyond isn’t a catchphrase. It’s a rallying cry—a reminder that how we do things is just as important as what we do. That’s why we’re never satisfied by simply checking a box. Instead, we’re constantly pushing ourselves to challenge the status quo and lead our industry forward.


That means rethinking our operations, innovating new solutions, and empowering people around the world to reach their full potential.


Those efforts are already well underway. Two years ago, we announced one of the industry’s most ambitious environmental and social impact agendas. Now, in our 22nd annual Sustainable Impact Report, I’m pleased to share how we are building on them.


Make no mistake: this work isn’t just good for the world, it’s good for our business. In 2022, more than 60% of our sales met the Corporate Knights standard for sustainable revenue. This reflects the continued trend of customers choosing products and services that help reduce environmental impact—a trend we expect will only accelerate.


As a company, this makes our Climate Action, Human Rights, and Digital Equity initiatives all the more important.

Becoming More Sustainable & Just

HP is helping move the world toward a net-zero carbon, fully regenerative economy. This starts with what we sell, and I’m proud that we have engineered our industry’s most sustainable portfolio of products and solutions, with every new PC and printer we launched last year containing recycled materials.


Importantly, we’re not just accounting for our own footprint. We are going beyond by reducing our Scope 3 emissions. We have helped our suppliers cut their own carbon emissions by 1.7 million tonnes, and more than 3,500 of our channel partners across 40 countries have made their own sustainability commitments through our HP Amplify Impact program.


As we work to protect our planet, we’re also empowering people—both inside HP and across our communities. In the U.S., 46% of our new hires in 2022 identified as ethnic or racial minorities. Ultimately, we believe companies perform at their best when they attract diverse talent from all walks of life. And by helping people to reach their full potential while protecting human rights across our supply chain, we can help build stronger communities, societies, and economies.


This includes helping to close the digital divide. While the digital economy holds promise for so many people around the world, it also threatens to leave billions behind. That’s why we’re working to expand access to technology while creating training, curriculum, and partnerships that empower underserved communities. Overall, we have now accelerated digital equity for 21 million people. That’s up nearly seven-fold since 2021 as we work toward our goal of 150 million by 2030. This report provides a deeper look at each of these efforts. You will see areas where we’re doing well, and others where we need to improve. This is not about patting ourselves on the back—it’s about being transparent and holding ourselves accountable.


Our Sustainable Impact work is deeply embedded into our business. That’s by design. We do not view these as separate initiatives. They are core to our operations, which is why every member of our executive leadership team is accountable for achieving specific goals each year.


I’m not suggesting any of this will be easy. But HP has never been a company that shies away from challenges. It’s one that encourages us to go beyond what we previously thought possible. And by harnessing that same spirit of innovation, we can keep changing the world for the better.




Enrique Lores

President and CEO

Go Beyond

Bill and Dave brought a thoughtful mindset to business. In order to solve the problem we need to truly understand it; that we need to address challenges and fix systems, not just symptoms. Most importantly, everything in that system is interconnected; that we don’t stop at upgrading one component we need to upgrade in tandem.


When it comes to solving the biggest challenges we face today, it is so easy to over-simplify. We reduce things down to a box to tick. 


HP believes there has to be a better way. A smarter way. A more responsible way. A way that understands that everything is interconnected. That reducing your footprint is part of it, but we must think beyond it. 


That in order to take on big, expansive issues, we need big, expansive solutions. Solutions that tackle things holistically. 


That go beyond the paradigm.

Simply put – we must Go Beyond.

Sustainable Impact strategy

HP aims to be the world’s most sustainable and just technology company.

Sustainable Impact is at the heart of HP’s business strategy. Across our three pillars of Climate Action, Human Rights, and Digital Equity, it connects us to the most pressing issues of our time. Rooted in science, our strategy prioritizes the areas where HP’s technology, talent, and platform can make the most positive impact. Above all, it supports a culture that integrates purpose throughout our business.
We know we must stand for more than the products we sell, which is why Sustainable Impact is both a business imperative and a key differentiator for HP. We focus on doing the right thing, even when it is difficult, to deliver lasting value through the power of our technology. HP’s sustainable revenue in 2022 represented more than 60% of total revenue, reported in accordance with the Corporate Knights Sustainable Economy Taxonomy1 which defines sustainable revenue as revenue from products and services that help reduce environmental impacts.

Our key focus areas

Climate Action

Human Rights

Digital Equity

Product and service innovation

In 2022, HP spent US$1.6 billion on ongoing product development to create the transformative and disruptive technologies of the future.
We apply rigorous design principles to improve the environmental performance of our products across their life cycles. Among our main design priorities, we work to increase the use of recycled and renewable materials; practice responsible chemistry; enhance product repairability, reusability, longevity, and recyclability; continually improve product energy efficiency; build in accessibility features; and create solutions to meet challenges in healthcare.

The newest HP Dragonfly and Elite 1000 Series PCs contain 90% recycled magnesium in the enclosure case,2 5% ocean-bound plastic in the speaker enclosure, and bio-circular feedstock such as used cooking oil to help lower CO2 emissions.3 All outer packaging is also 100% sustainably sourced,4 and the products are EPEAT® Gold registered in 27 countries,5 ENERGY STAR® certified, and TCO Certified.

Learn more

HP Color LaserJet Managed MFP E877 Series printers are EPEAT Gold registered and ENERGY STAR certified, and consume 17% less energy than their predecessor. They are made using over 16% recycled plastic content, and use supplies that contain about 60% recycled plastic content.

HP’s latest Z-series Pro printers are all EPEAT registered and ENERGY STAR certified, and are made of 20%–30% recycled content plastic.

HP’s latest PageWide Web Press inkjet printing solution, HP PageWide A2200, uses High Efficiency Drying (HED) technology to reduce power usage, which is a significant contributor to the carbon footprint of a print job. HED maximizes moisture removal at high speed and uses heat efficiently by recirculating up to 80% of hot air. This process uses up to 60% less power per page compared to the HP T250 HD.6

Podiatrists and orthotists using HP’s 3D Arize Orthotic Solution can capture 3D renderings of a patient’s foot, and fine-tune and prescribe personalized orthoses for their patients—all in less than five minutes.7

HP released the HP D100 Single Cell Dispenser, capable of rapidly and precisely dispensing single cells. This helps research labs improve their understanding of changes at the level of an individual cell, generating more insights to support scientists to make better decisions.


HP is recognised as one of the world’s most sustainable companies.

About this report

Since 2001, HP has provided in-depth information on its social and environmental progress to stakeholders, including customers, industry analysts, investors, employees, and others. This executive summary, as well as our full 2022 HP Sustainable Impact Report, covers HP’s Sustainable Impact policies, programs, goals, and progress. These documents include HP’s performance data through fiscal year 2022 (which ended October 31, 2022), unless stated otherwise. In addition to our Sustainable Impact Report, we share information on our programs and progress on our Sustainable Impact website.

Full report


Product images are for illustration purposes only, product availability and colours may vary by country.

  1. Reported in accordance with Corporate Knights Sustainable Economy Taxonomy (v6.0), HP included revenue from products certified to eco labels (EPEAT® Gold/Silver, TCO, Blue Angel, and ENERGY STAR®), products designed using recycled materials, products that have been recycled, fixed, or resold, and products as a service with end-of-life management policies.
  2. Recycled magnesium by weight: enclosure includes top cover, screen bezel, palm rest cover, and bottom cover.
  3. HP Dragonfly G4 back cover contains a resin partially derived from bio-waste such as used cooking oil. Incorporates waste bio-feedstock according to the mass balance approach.
  4. One hundred percent of outer box packaging and corrugated cushions made from sustainably sourced, certified, and recycled fibers.
  5. Based on U.S. EPEAT® registration according to IEEE 1680.1-2018 EPEAT. EPEAT status varies by country. Visit for more information.
  6. A 2021 Four Elements Consulting LCA study, commissioned by HP, provides a comparative environmental assessment of an Original HP toner cartridge (CF226X) with an HP EvoCycle cartridge (CF226XR), utilizing the most current data on production practices, recycling, product quality, and usage trends (see The LCA leverages a 2021 SpencerLab reliability study, commissioned by HP, comparing Original HP CF226X toner cartridges with HP EvoCycle CF226XR toner cartridges. For details, see The LCA concludes that the HP EvoCycle has a 37% lower carbon footprint than the HP CF226X in the production phase and a 1.8% lower carbon footprint when looking at the entire life cycle of the cartridge.
  7. Weight percentage where toner and components considered by HP to be critical to print quality (cleaning blade, imaging drum, developer blade, developing roller, and charge roller) are excluded: 36% reused, 40% recycled. Total 76% reused/recycled. Absolute weight percentage excluding toner: 21% reused; 24% recycled. Total 45% reused/recycled.
  8. All estimates based on power measurements on the HP PageWide A2200, comparing average power used during printing (or running power) vs. the HP T250 HD. Results will vary based on press configuration, print speed, media types, print mode, color profiles, and print quality requirements. Page = one page front and back.
  9. Based on internal HP testing, March 2021. Actual results depend on many factors including patient–doctor interactions and specific patient conditions.
  10. Weight percentage where toner and components considered by HP to be critical to print quality (cleaning blade, imaging drum, developer blade, developing roller, and charge roller) are excluded: 36% reused, 40% recycled. Total 76% reused/recycled. Absolute weight percentage excluding toner: 21% reused; 24% recycled. Total 45% reused/recycled.
  11. HP services are sold separately. HP services are governed by the applicable HP terms and conditions of service provided or indicated to the customer at the time of purchase. Customer may have additional statutory rights according to applicable local laws, and such rights are not in any way affected by the HP terms and conditions of service, or the HP Limited Warranty provided with your HP product
  12. There are two offset options available: HP’s Carbon Neutral to the Door option covers carbon offsetting of material extraction, component and product manufacturing, and product logistics. HP’s Lifecycle option covers everything in the Carbon Neutral to the Door option plus device usage based on a four-year life cycle for commercial HP notebooks and mobile workstations, and a five-year life cycle for commercial HP desktops, displays, and workstations, and end-of-service.
  13. Life cycle assessments (LCAs) are validated by a third party to conform to ISO 14040 and ISO 14044, and are used by HP to understand the total carbon footprint for HP personal systems products. Using this data, along with the information unique to each customer (e.g., product ship-to location, product portfolio), we calculate the total carbon emissions for a customer’s fleet. HP then purchases and retires carbon offsets, procured through Climate Impact Partners, which certifies HP’s Carbon Neutral Computing Services in accordance with its CarbonNeutral Protocol. Please review this document for complete details: