Not only does it set up easily from the box, but it also has loads of innovative features that are simple for even novice printer users to master. Whether you want to print, fax, scan, or copy, there’s a use for just about everyone.
Curious about this must-see model? Learn what makes this printer a budget-friendly option and an ideal AiO for businesses, students, and home users in our HP OfficeJet 3830 review.
What is the HP OfficeJet 3830 printer?
The HP OfficeJet 3830 is one of the most popular home office and consumer AiO inkjet printers. It uses HP Original ink and wireless internet to allow for easy printing from any connected mobile device, phone, or computer. It also copies, scans, and faxes, all from the same device.
Measuring 17.72 x 14.33 x 8.54 inches and weighing just over 12 lbs, this slim printer fits into just about any space, with paper trays that open and extend when you need them for loading or storing paper.
This printer comes with everything you need to start printing, scanning, and faxing, including access to the HP printer software and convenient mobile app. You’ll also get a starter ink kit of both black and color cartridges and a phone cord for faxing functionality.
HP OfficeJet 3830 features and benefits
This is an ideal printer for users of all tech skill levels. Through its easy setup, the printer connects securely to your 2.4 GHz wireless network so you can print from your computer, tablet, smartphone, or another compatible mobile device.
Additional use opportunities
There is no included USB cable, but if you don't have access to a wireless network upon setup, you can purchase this cord separately and still connect to your desktop or laptop PC. You can also print from a USB device or SSD card, because the printer comes with slots to insert these directly.
Intuitive touch controls and wireless options
You can use your computer or mobile device to order a print, scan, or fax job, or use the touch controls on the printer itself. The 2.2-inch paper-white display controls are sensitive enough for you to easily specify quantities or layouts.
If you can’t access the wireless network from your mobile phone, you’re still not out of luck. The direct print function allows you to connect your phone or tablet directly to the wireless signal that the printer sends out, letting you pair the two for one-on-one communication for fast, secure printing anywhere.
How fast is this printer? It gets the first page out in as little as 14 seconds from powering on, with a maximum black-and-white print speed of 8.5 pages per minute (ppm) in regular mode and 20 ppm in draft mode. It also produces 6 ppm in color.
You can easily print up to 250 pages or more per month, since the printer has a monthly duty cycle of up to 1,000 pages. The printer memory can hold up to 512MB in document data.
This full-color printer faxes in color, with faxes taking just 4 seconds per page to transmit. With the ability to make 50 copies of any page, you can skip going to the print shop for most jobs and do your work affordably from home.
It’s small, works quietly in the background, and does what most people need in an AiO printer.
How to set up the HP OfficeJet 3830 printer
HP® has made it easy to get your first prints quickly. To get started using your HP OfficeJet 3830 printer, follow these steps:
- Remove the printer from the box and take off all tape, protective packaging, and stickers. You may need to open exterior doors or lift trays to access all the packaging
- Connect the power cord to the printer, then connect the other end to a power source
- Push the power button to turn on the printer. Personalize the settings for time, date, and language
- Install the ink cartridges by opening the ink access door on the printer and waiting for the printer carriage to stop moving. Remove the protective tape from the included ink cartridges and install them according to the directions. Close the ink access door
- Load paper into the paper tray
- Your printer may automatically perform printer alignment. If not, use the touch screen to start alignment
- Install the printer software for your device. You should also install the HP Smart Printing app for your iOS or Android mobile device
After your printer is set up and printer software is installed, the printer should guide you through how to access the wireless network. If you don’t have access to a wireless network, use a USB cord (not included) to connect your computer to the printer. To fax, you’ll need to connect your printer to a landline with the included cable.
HP OfficeJet 3830 price
The printer comes with everything you need to print right away, excluding paper and an optional USB cord for direct connection to your PC. You won’t need to purchase any expensive accessories to start using it.
This HP OfficeJet is priced right at under $100 and sits proudly among the best AiO printers for home use
. When you consider that you can fax, scan, copy, and print in color all from the user-friendly touch screen, you can see why it's one of the better values in printing.
Pair it with the HP Instant Ink
delivery service , and you can print black-and-white documents, color marketing materials, photos, and more for less than you'd imagine.
Tips for getting the most from your HP OfficeJet 3830
The HP 3830 printer is designed to help you be more productive with less hassle, but there are some extra steps you can take to ensure the best experience possible. First, we recommend that you read through the documentation provided in the packaging, then consider these additional tips:
- Use genuine HP printer ink or consider the HP Instant Ink program. Cheap ink cartridge knock-offs can damage your printer or void your warranty and aren’t designed to harness the full printing quality of your printer
- Pick the perfect paper. The HP 3830 color printer accepts many sizes and weights of paper, including envelopes, photo paper, brochure paper, and other specialty inkjet papers
- Familiarize yourself with the best way to print on these surfaces. Know in advance which side of the paper to print on, especially for custom products like stickers and labels
- Get to know scanning options. This printer comes with a scanner bed and a 35-sheet automatic document feeder, but you may need to experiment to get the best scan possible. You can also scan items with your phone’s camera app and use the HP printer app to send it to your printer, which is a good way to work with items that are too large or bulky to put in the printer scan bed
- Understand offline mode. One of the more frustrating problems for home printers is an unexplained offline error. This is common for all printers, but HP® has easy solutions for getting back online. Use our Why is My Printer Offline tutorial for troubleshooting tips
- Consider quiet mode. Is the baby napping? Do you want to print out a large document while watching TV? Turn on quiet mode and do all of your work with less noise. It’s an effective way to cut distracting sounds and still print your projects
If you find yourself in a situation where you can't solve a problem on your own, the HP Store website has a wealth of information for troubleshooting and basic maintenance questions.
You can also find many of the answers to your questions in the HP Print app and software solutions. Not only can they help guide you through tasks like connecting to the wireless network, but you can also be notified of issues like paper jams, low ink, or paper outages.
To make sure your printer is working most efficiently, keep your computer updated, your network secure
, and your printer maintained. These simple steps can help you get years and years of enjoyment from your HP OfficeJet 3830 printer.
How to save more money on ink
The HP Instant Ink program is one of the best ways to get the most out of this printer. In addition to supplying you with regular shipments of HP Original ink products, you’ll only get ink right before you need it.
There’s no need to visit the store and stock up during a sale or wait until your online office supply store has it in stock. You won’t have to remember your printer model or know if it’s a better buy to get the XL printer cartridges or the regular size.
How does HP Instant Ink work?
The HP Instant Ink program is billed as a monthly subscription price and is based on the pages printed, not the cartridges used. So, you can print a full-color 8 x 11-inch photo at the same price as a black-and-white email. There are several service levels for all print needs. If you don’t need to print very often, choose the cheapest plan, for example.
How does HP know that it’s time to send more ink?
The printer wirelessly communicates with the HP Instant Ink service, letting the service know how many pages you’ve printed, as well as the ink levels on each of your cartridges.
If you’re running low on black ink, for example, it will arrive in your mailbox well before you run out. In order for this service to work, you must be connected to your wireless network and have permissions enabled for HP® to receive data from you.
What do I do with the empty cartridges?
When the ink arrives, you'll also get a prepaid envelope to return your empties, saving time and money while keeping plastics out of the landfill. HP® uses these empty cartridges as part of their closed-loop recycling program and to keep printer ink and equipment costs lower.
If you’re trying to save ink out of care for the planet, you may also consider printing in black-and-white draft mode, which offers lower-resolution prints at faster speeds.
The HP OfficeJet 3830 printer often sells with promotional offers on the HP Instant Ink program. Look for credits or free months to try the program when you buy. HP Instant Ink has a refer-a-friend program, too, so if you like it after you try it, save even more money by telling someone to sign up.
Is the HP OfficeJet 3830 for you?
The HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One printer has been around for several years, and its popularity just keeps growing. With a very competitive price point and loads of features, it’s one of the better values on the home printer market. If you are able to take advantage of the HP Instant Ink subscription program and its significant discount for cost per printed page, you’ll save even more.
The HP OfficeJet 3830’s impressive print quality, including photo prints on authentic HP photo print paper, make it into an instant favorite. The automatic document feeder is also a nice addition, giving you more control over bigger scan and copy jobs than other printers at the same price point.
With some of the traditional perks of an AiO, such as fax, but with more upscale details in the touch screen control panel, it’s a modern must-have for users who wants the full suite of home office functionality within a slim consumer unit.
Students, business owners, and anyone who wants to print photos at home will find plenty of value here. It earns its spot as one of the top printers
for every need and should be considered for your future print jobs.
About the Author: Linsey Knerl is a contributing writer for HP® Tech Takes. Linsey is a Midwest-based author, public speaker, and member of the ASJA. She has a passion for helping consumers and small business owners do more with their resources via the latest tech solutions.