HP Newsroom > News releases
HP Helps Consumers Reduce Carbon Footprint with New Desktop PCs and DisplayPALO ALTO, Calif., Oct. 20, 2008
HP today announced two new consumer desktop PCs and a color display designed to have reduced impact on the environment.
The HP Pavilion Verde Special Edition a6645f and HP Pavilion Phoenix Special Edition a6655f desktop PCs include AMD® energy-efficient processors(1,2) and recyclable packaging.
The 25.5-inch HP w2558hc Vivid Color Display offers a wide range of new features, including a built-in webcam and 15-in-1 card reader, for enhanced entertainment and connectivity.(3)
In addition, HP updated the HP Compaq Presario, HP Pavilion, HP Pavilion Slimline and HP Pavilion Elite lines of desktop PCs with new configurations to fit the needs of every consumer – from entertainment enthusiasts to budget-minded families and students. More information about the new lines is available at HP Direct.
PCs designed with the environment in mind
The HP Pavilion Verde Special Edition a6645f and HP Pavilion Phoenix Special Edition a6655f desktop PCs are ENERGY STAR® qualified and meet the standards for Silver registration in the Electronic Products Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT™). The special-edition desktop PCs are designed with AMD energy-efficient processors(1,2) and advanced power management features that provide up to 45 percent energy savings compared to PCs without power management enabled. In addition, they come in 100 percent recyclable packaging with less plastic foam.
“The Phoenix and Verde desktops represent HP’s ongoing efforts to innovate and design for the environment,” said John Cook, vice president, Marketing, Worldwide Consumer PC Business, HP. “HP is committed to offering consumers and businesses computing alternatives that can reduce energy consumption and lessen their overall eco-footprint.”
The special-edition desktop PCs offer up to five gigabytes (GB) of memory, Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit edition with Service Pack 1,(4) a front-panel 15-in-1 memory card reader for easily transferring photos and files to and from peripheral devices, and a SuperMulti DVD burner with LightScribe technology for etching custom labels and artwork directly onto discs.(5)
The HP Pavilion Phoenix Special Edition a6655f desktop PC includes an energy-efficient AMD Phenom™ X4 9150e Quad-Core Processor(1) and 640 GB hard drive(6) and features a stunning design symbolizing the mythical phoenix. The HP Pavilion Verde Special Edition a6645f desktop PC has a nature-inspired pattern on the chassis and includes an energy-efficient AMD Athlon™ X2 4850e Dual-Core Processor(2) and 500 GB hard drive.(6)
Introducing a display that does it all
HP’s new 25.5-inch diagonal widescreen flat panel display contains an array of features to provide enhanced entertainment, connectivity and performance. The elegant, ergonomically designed HP w2558hc Vivid Color Display includes a built-in 15-in-1 card reader for easily viewing slideshows and videos, even when the PC is turned off, as well as a built-in two-megapixel webcam for staying connected with friends and family through video chat.(7)
The HP w2558hc also has multiple USB ports and digital outputs to provide convenient connectivity to external devices, such as MP3 players and digital cameras.(8) HDMI inputs allow for a high-definition experience,(9) delivering bright and brilliant images powered by a fast response time, high brightness and contrast ratio, and BrightView technology.
The ergonomic design of the HP w2558hc with built-in speakers and a slim profile fits easily in the home and helps minimize desk space use. The display also includes height and tilt adjustments to suit viewing needs. The HP w2558hc is ENERGY STAR qualified and offers a Power Saver feature to help reduce energy consumption.
Pricing and availability(10)
HP and the environment
For decades HP has been an environmental leader, driving company stewardship through its holistic design for environment strategy. HP influences industry action through its long-standing commitment to maintain supply chain responsibility, sustain energy efficient operations, reduce its climate impact and offer product reuse and recycling options. HP also makes it easier for customers to recognize environmentally preferable features through HP Eco Solutions, a program that helps customers identify products and services designed with the environment in mind. More information is available at www.hp.com/environment.
HP, the world’s largest technology company, provides printing and personal computing products and IT services, software and solutions that simplify the technology experience for consumers and businesses. HP completed its acquisition of EDS on Aug. 26, 2008. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com.
(1) AMD Phenom X4 9150e Quad-Core Processor, speed 1.8 GHz, 2 MB L2+2 MB shared L3 cache, 3200MT/s system bus. Quad Core is a new technology designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. This system requires a separately purchased 64-bit operating system and 64-bit software products to take advantage of the 64-bit processing capabilities of the AMD Phenom processor. Given the wide range of software applications available, performance of a system including a 64-bit operating system will vary.
(2) AMD Athlon X2 4850e Dual-Core Processor, speed 2.50 GHz, 1.0 MB L2 cache, 2000 MHz system bus. This system requires a separately purchased 64-bit operating system and 64-bit software products to take advantage of the 64-bit processing capabilities of the AMD “X” processor. Given the wide range of software applications available, performance of a system including a 64-bit operating system will vary.
(3) Internet access required and sold separately.
(4) Certain Windows Vista product features require advanced or additional hardware. Details are available at www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/hardwarereqs.mspx and www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx. Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor can help to determine which features of Windows Vista will run on individual computers. The tool is available for download at www.windowsvista.com/upgradeadvisor.
(5) Actual speeds may vary. Does not permit copying of commercially available DVD movies or other copyright-protected materials. Intended only for creation and storage of original material and other lawful uses. Double Layer is a new technology. Double Layer media compatibility will widely vary with some home DVD players and DVD-ROM drives. LightScribe creates a grayscale image similar to black and white photography. LightScribe media required and sold separately. Note that DVD-RAM cannot read or write to 2.6 GB Single Sided/5.2 GB Double Sided – Version 1.0 media. Data transfer rates up to 6,000 KB/s (CD read/write) and 21,632 KB/s (DVD read/write). Data transfer rates up to 3,600 KB/s (CD read/write) and 10,816 KB/s (DVD read/write).
(6) For hard drives, GB = 1 billion bytes. Actual formatted capacity is less. Up to 12 GB of storage space is reserved for the system recovery software.
(7) Internet access required and sold separately. Instant messaging software required.
(8) Sold separately.
(9) HD content is required to view HD image.
(10) Estimated U.S. street prices. Actual prices may vary.
ENERGY STAR is a U.S. registered mark of the United States Environmental Protection Agency. AMD Phenom and AMD Athlon are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Microsoft, Windows and Vista are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other countries.
This news advisory contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of management for future operations; any statements concerning expected development, performance or market share relating to products and services; anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its customers, suppliers and partners; the achievement of expected results; and other risks that are described in HP’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended July 31, 2008 and HP’s other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including but not limited to HP’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2007. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
© 2008 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.