HP TECH TAKES /...
Best Deals on HP Laptops
First, decide what kind of laptop you need or want
An important factor to consider is what will you be using the laptop for primarily. Uses include, for instance:
- Business - Work anywhere with laptops that offer solid security, durability, mobility, style, and ultra-slim designs. From budget-conscious to high-end creative professionals, HP EliteBook, HP ProBook, and HP ZBook laptops all offer excellent options for business usage.
- Home - Find powerful, flexible, and cost-effective options designed to adapt to your needs, whether it's for creativity, learning, work, or gaming. HP Spectre, HP ENVY, and HP Pavilion laptops include a variety of powerful, yet sleekly designed models for home and cross-functional usage.
- School - Look for easy-to-use, secure, go-to devices for not only school, but also work and play. You’ll use your laptop for studying, projects, social media, gaming, and entertainment. HP Stream and HP Chromebook laptops are ideal for students and parents as well as for secondary computer use.
- Gaming - Play at your best wherever you are with desktop-class power and graphics performance, immersive displays, and edgy designs. HP OMEN and HP Pavilion laptops both offer great options for your gaming needs.
- Premium - Get creative with stunning designs that are crafted from fine materials, with performance, speed, adaptability, and refined features for work and play. HP Spectre, HP EliteBook, HP ZBook, and others provide several superb options that include standard laptops, 2-in-1, and convertible models.
- $250 to $400: Within the lower budgetary range of no more than about $400, you’ll find functional models that will run many basic programs and productivity applications. While they won’t be equipped with the levels of processing power and performance that the higher tiers can provide, they offer the ability to check email, surf the internet, and engage in social media.
- $400 to $650: There are some excellent options within this budget-friendly range that include laptops that are lightweight, portable, compact, and efficient, and have a long battery life and great connectivity options to boot. Many of them have moderately powerful dual- or quad-core processors such as an Intel Core™ 8th Generation i5 or AMD® Ryzen 3, and both Intel and AMD Radeon graphics cards, as well as some NVIDIA® GeForce® GPUs. Further, you’ll find models with at least 4GB to 8GB RAM and up to 1TB hard drive (HDD) or 256GB solid-state drives (SSD).
- $650 to $1,000: When you move to the second-to-highest price tier of above $650, you will find more models with more powerful processors with the latest generation Intel and AMD CPUs (such as quad-core and above) and Intel and NVIDIA GPUs. They’ll most likely have faster performance, increased memory and storage, and more stylish designs. You’ll also find higher-resolution displays with larger screen sizes and different form factors, such as convertibles and 2-in-1s. HP ENVY, HP Pavilion, and HP Spectre (as well as others) feature detachable (or 2-in-1) and/or convertible (x360) models.
- $1,000 and above: In the $1,000-and-above price bucket, you can find very powerful, high-performing, faster, portable, and more durable models with lots of memory (starting at 16GB) and terabytes (TB) of both HDD and SSD storage. They also feature higher-resolution displays - usually starting with at least Full-High Definition (FHD), or 1080p, as well as many models with touch screens. And the highest-end mobile workstation and gaming laptops are packed with additional features such as more ports, virtual reality (VR) capabilities, enhanced thermal cooling options, customized lighting, and much more.
3. Form factor
- Standard - Traditional, clamshell-design laptops with a variety of performance levels, display options, and eye-catching styles.
- Detachable (or 2-in-1) - Hybrid laptops that either detach to use as a tablet or flexibly bend backward with hinges that rotate 360-degrees to enable multiple uses (this iteration is also referred to as convertible, see below).
- Convertible - Laptops featuring innovatively engineered, strong, and easily adjustable, 360-degree-rotating hinges that protect the display and keyboard across four distinct and convenient modes that include:
- Laptop: default mode ideal for working/creating/playing/gaming with an angled display and flat keyboard
- Tablet: detached display that’s folded against the back of the keyboard, giving you the freedom of movement to read comfortably or enjoy the touchscreen functionality to take notes or draw on with (or without) a digital pen
- Stand: fold back the keyboard under the display to make a stand for your viewing comfort to easily watch, binge, collaborate, or stream (hands-free) on your full screen, from wherever you are
- Tent: flip and rotate the screen to hide the keyboard, emphasizing the display for touchscreen use, gaming, and audio, and enjoy a hands-on experience when navigating applications, sharing presentations, or playing games
- Mobile workstation - Laptops that include powerful mobile processors and graphics, stunning displays, large amounts of memory and storage, lots of ports, and rugged designs. These are ideal for creative and technical professionals (such as architects, graphic designers, video editors, etc.) who need workstation-level processing power and professional-grade performance on-the-go.
- 11 to 12-inch screens - The smallest screen sizes offer incredible portability as they’re usually the lightest systems as well, weighing approximately 2 lbs to no more than 3.5 lbs. They often boast longer battery times than larger displays, but they also lack performance capabilities and full keyboards.
- 13 to 14-inch screens - These displays are still as portable as the 11.6-inch laptops, usually weighing under 4 pounds, but they offer more productivity and performance features. There are a number of 2-in-1s (or detachable) available in this size, and these provide more choices for usability than traditional laptops do.
- 15-inch screens - Laptops with 15.6-inch screens could probably be considered the prototypical display. They usually weigh no more than 5.5 lbs, so they’re still portable, and the larger screen real estate affords the ability to get more work done or to immerse yourself in the crisp details of your game.
- 17 to 18-inch screens - These laptops boast the largest displays, and thus the perfect amount of screen size to display the type of crisp, beautifully rendered graphics that you need to work or game at maximum capacity. Their large size also enables huge amounts of processing power to fuel that work or play. Of course, everything has a price and what you gain in that processing muscle and screen size you sacrifice in portability and, often, battery life.
- AMD Ryzen 3
- AMD Ryzen 5/7
- Intel UHD Graphics 600
- Intel UHD Graphics 620/630
- AMD Radeon R4
- AMD Radeon Vega 3
- AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56
- AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64
- AMD Radeon VII (or Vega 20)
- NVIDIA MX250
- NVIDIA GeForce 1060/1070
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
- NVIDIA RTX 2050/2060/2070
- NVIDIA RTX 2080/2080Ti
7. Memory and storage
Both memory and storage and important factors to consider when looking for the best deals on laptops. Like the CPU and GPU card, you’ll want enough memory (or RAM) and storage to ensure the appropriate amount of performance for your laptop, whether you’re using it for work, school, or gaming.
Look for a minimum of 4GB of RAM to run your laptop’s basic programs. You won’t be able to run too much, however, and that’s why 8GB is usually considered the sweet spot of memory requirements on most laptops. And if you’re a power user or gamer, you’ll want to double that amount to16GB.
Buy during annual sales
- Pre-Black Friday & Black Friday: November 15 - 24, 2019
- Cyber Monday & Cyber Week: November 25 - December 1, 2019
- Intel Sale: December 2 - 8, 2019
- Green Monday: December 9 - 10, 2019
- Red Tag Sale: December 22, 2019 - January 2, 2020
- Back to Business Sale: January 6 - 19, 2020
- President’s Day Sale: February 14 - 27, 2020
- Intel Sale: March 3 - 9, 2020
- Spring Sale: March 17 - 23, 2020
- HP Days Sale: March 31 - April 6, 2020
- Mother’s Day Gift Guide: April 14 - May 11, 2020