HP Introduces Advanced BladeSystem Architecture
ASIA PACIFIC, 20 February 2013 — HP today announced the most significant enhancements since inception to the industry-leading HP BladeSystem c-Class portfolio, with an advanced architecture that dramatically improves performance, efficiency and availability of resources in virtualized environments, saving organizations up to 68 percent in data center operating costs.(1)
Introduced at the HP Global Partner Conference, the new HP BladeSystem infrastructure encompasses three new components, including the HP BladeSystem c7000 Platinum enclosure, the new HP ProLiant WS460c Generation 8 (Gen8) Server Blade and major enhancements to the award-winning HP Virtual Connect product family.
According to IDC, blade servers have the highest rate of virtualization among all server types as organizations move toward cloud infrastructures.(2) Per Gartner, in 2016, 82 percent of server workloads will be running in virtual environments.(3) Clients require systems to handle increased management complexity with lower operational costs.
New HP BladeSystem c7000 Platinum enclosure boosts performance
Building on the HP BladeSystem portfolio, the industry’s leading blade platform for virtualization and cloud applications, the new HP BladeSystem c7000 Platinum enclosure offers the industry’s leading performance by integrating next-generation technologies for long-term investment protection.(4) The HP BladeSystem c7000 Platinum enclosure improves efficiencies, simplifies management and optimizes power while remaining compatible with previous generations of HP blade servers and interconnects.
The HP BladeSystem c7000 Platinum enclosure boasts unmatched blade density and a number of industry firsts, including:
- The new enclosure supports more traffic and users than previous generations of HP enclosures and keeps pace with the growing demand of virtualized environments, enabling 40 percent increase in bandwidth and twice the storage bandwidth.(4, 5)
- The new SX1018 HP Ethernet switch is the first in the industry to provide 40Gb downlinks to each blade server, enabling near real-time performance.(6) Clients can experience the lowest port to port latency of any blade switch that is more than four times faster than previous switches and delivers five times more bandwidth.(7,8)
- HP SmartMemory, the industry’s first Three Rank (3R) 24GB Registered DIMM, enables a 25 percent increase in speed over previous generations.(9) The 3R 24GB Registered DIMM delivers greater performance at a lower energy cost and scales to meet the needs of growing virtualized environments.
- Location and power discovery tools provide advanced insight into the data center by allowing customers to track server locations remotely from a central console. An industry-first innovation, this saves hours of manual asset cataloging and eliminates labor-intensive, error-prone tracking of IT assets. Additionally, clients can reduce unplanned data center outages by leveraging power discovery tools that ensure systems are resourced correctly.
Network fabric innovations enhance performance and quality of service
HP also introduced HP Virtual Connect 4.0 to help simplify the management of network connectivity, enable troubleshooting and boost network reliability. Building on wire-once simplicity, HP Virtual Connect 4.0 extends comprehensive integration with existing enterprise networking environments. To give customers more visibility into their network traffic, HP Virtual Connect 4.0 offers real-time network flow monitoring. With enhanced quality of service (QoS), HP Virtual Connect 4.0 also delivers bandwidth optimization enabling the ability to shift unused network capacity to overloaded applications.
Greater efficiency and performance for virtual users
The new HP ProLiant WS460c Gen 8 workstation server blade is the only bladed infrastructure that can support virtualized client solutions with high-density 3-D graphics and eight GPUs per blade. Enabling four times more users per workstation, the HP ProLiant WS460c can reduce costs by up to 60 percent per user compared to previous generations, making it possible to mobilize an entire workforce.(10,11)
“Adopting a virtualized platform can be a daunting task as many organizations lack the scalable infrastructure required to grow their businesses,” said Stephen Bovis, vice president and general manager, Industry Standard Servers and Software, HP Asia Pacific and Japan. “The additions to the HP BladeSystem portfolio provides built in flexibility to accommodate future technology innovations. HP has elevated our blade offerings and allows customers to prepare their current infrastructure for virtualization while providing our channel partners with new revenue opportunities.”
Unparalleled partner support
HP offers a number of programs and services to support partners and help them increase revenue with the HP BladeSystem. These programs and services enable partners to:
- Get more from every server sale with the new HP BladeSystem Channel Sales Kit. HP Partners can generate income faster with instant access to key white papers, customer presentations, product positioning guides and videos that provide all the details partners need to sell HP BladeSystem.
- Share HP BladeSystem benefits and features with customers more easily with the new 3-D HP BladeSystem Interactive tool. This provides a 3-D view of the new HP BladeSystem c7000 Platinum enclosure, server blades and virtual connect, allowing customers to conceptualize the benefits without a live equipment demo.
- Offer customers total solution financing from HP Financial Services of all hardware, software and services, structured to match the customer’s intended usage.
HP Technology Services support simplifies IT management and increases partner profitability
HP Technology Services now offers HP Proactive Insight experience, the most comprehensive support offering, enabling clients to take proactive actions as well as automate and manage tasks, resulting in problem prevention and productivity gains averaging $32,000 per 100 users.(12) The HP Proactive Insight experience offers channel partners additional sales and up-sell opportunities to help increase revenue and gross margins while also providing lower entry price points.
HP Proactive Insight Experience provides opportunities for channel partners to deliver an enhanced customer experience. The offering begins with HP Proactive Care which provides proactive problem avoidance and direct access to advanced technical expertise. This service is powered by innovative support and management technologies, including HP Insight Online, the industry’s most comprehensive cloud-based management portal, as well as HP Insight Remote Support, which remotely monitors servers, storage and networks. With the HP Proactive Insight experience clients can increase user productivity and achieve a return on their services investment in 30 days or less. (12)
Pricing and availability
- The HP BladeSystem c7000 Platinum enclosure will be available this month for a starting price of $4,999.
- The HP ProLiant WS460c Gen 8 workstation blade will be available next month for a starting price of $5,037.
Both offerings will be available worldwide through HP and channel partners.
HP’s premier Americas client event, HP Discover, takes place June 11-13 in Las Vegas.
- HP-sponsored white paper from IDC, “Business Value of Blade Infrastructures,” No. 227508R2, December 2012.
- IDC “Worldwide Quarterly Server Virtualization Tracker, Q3 2012,” December, 2012
- Gartner “Forecast Analysis: x86 Server Virtualization, Worldwide, 3Q12 Update,” November 2012
- 56 Gb vs. 40 Gb Infiniband.
- 16 Gb fibre channel vs. 8 Gb fibre channel.
- Based on HP analysis as of January 2013.
- Based on HP internal calculation as of January 2013 that show SX1018 HP switch achieving a 250 nanosecond response time, compared to 1 millisecond from previous models.
- Based on HP Internal calculations as of January 2013. Comparing HP 6120XG with 240 Gb of available up/down bandwidth vs. SX1018 HP with 1,360 Gb available, HP offers up/down bandwidth that is 5.6 times greater.
- Based on HP internal calculations as of January 2013. Compared with 3 DIMM-per-channel platforms with memory running at 1,066 MHz vs. HP 3R 24Gb DIMM at 1,333 MHz.
- Based on HP internal calculations as of January 2012. Four times more NVIDIA Quadro 3000M graphics in the same enclosure space vs. previous-generation HP WS460c.
- Based on HP internal calculations as of January 2012. Versus previous-generation HP WS460c.
- IDC White paper, sponsored by HP and Intel, “The Business Value of the HP Proactive Insight Experience,” No. 239199, January 2013.
About HP Inc.
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions, and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
© 2016 HP Inc. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP Inc. products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP Inc. shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
This news advisory contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of management for future operations; any statements concerning expected development, performance, market share or competitive performance relating to products and services; any statements regarding anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include macroeconomic and geopolitical trends and events; the competitive pressures faced by HP’s businesses; the development and transition of new products and services (and the enhancement of existing products and services) to meet customer needs and respond to emerging technological trends; the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its customers, suppliers and partners; the protection of HP's intellectual property assets, including intellectual property licensed from third parties; integration and other risks associated with business combination and investment transactions; the hiring and retention of key employees; assumptions related to pension and other post-retirement costs and retirement programs; the execution, timing and results of restructuring plans, including estimates and assumptions related to the cost and the anticipated benefits of implementing those plans; expectations and assumptions relating to the execution and timing of cost reduction programs and restructuring and integration plans; the resolution of pending investigations, claims and disputes; and other risks that are described in HP’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended April 30, 2012 and HP’s other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including HP’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2011. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
© 2013 Hewlett-Packard Asia Pacific Pte Ltd. Registration No.: 198703164G. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.