HP Raises the Bar on Mainstream Mobility with Secure New Business Ultrabook Designs
PALO ALTO, Calif., Oct. 1, 2013 — HP today unveiled a portfolio of elegantly styled business notebooks that redefine mainstream mobile computing, including secure, reliable Ultrabooks™(1) designed to fit the needs of any business user or IT budget.
Businesses are in the midst of a workplace transformation as employee demand for stylish mobile devices competes with IT decision makers’ need to keep company technology secure and manageable. With this in mind, HP designed its new EliteBook and ProBook series notebook PCs for mobility, durability and security, while pleasing the eye with a radically thinner profile wrapped in a performance-inspired design.
- The HP EliteBook 800 series is up to 40 percent thinner and 28 percent lighter than previous generations, while delivering critical enterprise features, allowing businesses to provide the Ultrabook(1) experience to everyone in the office. They’re designed for frequent travelers with an option for up to 33 hours of battery life and MIL-STD 810G certification for business-rugged reliability. (2,3)
- Available on HP EliteBooks, HP Sure Start(4) is exclusive to HP BIOSphere and was developed in collaboration with HP Labs, the company’s central research arm, to automatically restore compromised systems so end users can maintain productivity reducing downtime.
- The HP ProBook 600 series is tough yet stylish, delivering a broad selection of business technologies and legacy features, including brilliant high-definition (HD) displays and a range of connectivity options.
- Designed to fit the needs and budgets of smaller businesses, the new HP ProBook 400 series notebooks are durable, stylish and fast, featuring the speed of the latest 4th generation Intel® Core™ i3/i5/i7 processors.(5)
- The HP Security Smart Jacket for HP ElitePad provides mobile authentication, ensuring secure login to corporate networks for mobile professionals.
“IT decision makers today are faced with history’s most diverse and technically savvy workforce, and their demands for devices that reflect personal style and productivity preferences present a unique business challenge,” said Enrique Lores, senior vice president and general manager, Commercial PCs, HP. “HP is leading the transformation of the workplace with innovative and mobile business PCs designed for style, but built for security and reliability.”
HP EliteBook 800 series: The ideal travel companion
The HP EliteBook 800 series notebooks are engineered with the security and management features required by enterprise IT, but are customizable to fit the needs of businesses of all sizes. The new series offers Ultrabook(1) qualification for select notebooks, and features a thinner and lighter profile(6) ideal for travelers, and a sophisticated design in a rich graphite black with meteorite gray accents inspired by high-performance automobiles.
HP EliteBook 800 series notebooks meet MIL-STD 810G testing(3) for impressive toughness and reliability, with a magnesium unibody chassis further reinforced with aluminum accents and featuring an optional back-lit keyboard to maintain productivity in low-light settings. A durable drop-jaw hinge Ethernet port ensures reliable connectivity without the need for a dongle or other adapter, while HP Trust Circles ensures that only assigned contacts can access critical files.(7)
- The HP EliteBook 820 G1 is up to 35 percent thinner and 18 percent lighter than previous generations, featuring a 12-inch diagonal display and a weighing less than 3 lbs for business travelers who need a light, full-featured device.
- The HP EliteBook 840 G1 is Ultrabook(1) qualified and offers a 14-inch diagonal display with an optional touch display optimized for the Windows 8 experience, plus an amazing battery life of up to 33 hours with the optional secondary Slice Battery.(2)
- The HP EliteBook 850 G1 features a large15.6-inch diagonal display for easy viewing and offers an optional Ultrabook(1) qualification. It is powered by the latest generation Intel architecture and protected by the full HP Client Security portfolio.(8)
HP Sure Start(4) technology: Automatic protection from BIOS attack
Designed in collaboration with HP Labs, HP Sure Start is the latest breakthrough innovation in HP business platform protection and an exclusive self-healing BIOS solution. Available on the new HP EliteBook 800 series, this unique hardware-based solution detects and remedies malware and security attacks to the BIOS.
HP Sure Start Crisis Recovery Mode immediately and automatically detects the effects of an attack or corruption and replaces the corrupted BIOS Boot Block with a clean copy from the secure memory—all within about 30 seconds. This technology allows businesses to eliminate employee downtime due to a nonoperational unit caused by BIOS attacks, and helps save IT time by avoiding help desk calls or service ticket requests. Plus, its hardware-based approach means it is effective against new sources of attacks, even those not yet identified.
HP ProBook 600 series: The thinner, tougher taskmaster
The HP ProBook 600 series PCs are highly configurable HP business notebooks packed with the latest technologies, allowing IT administrators to tailor them to the specific needs of their end users, and only purchase the functionality they need. Optional 4G LTE WWAN helps keep business connected, while the optional long-life battery keeps businesses productive with business-day battery life.(9) With USB 3.0 and DisplayPort 1.2 paired with new HD+ and full HD display options and top-mounted speakers, employees can enjoy an outstanding user experience whether connecting with colleagues across the conference room or around the world.
- The HP ProBook 640 G1 notebook has a 14-inch diagonal display and is powered by the latest Intel fourth-generation Core i7, i5 or i3 dual-core standard voltage processors for high performance.(5)
- The HP ProBook 650 G1 notebook operates with crystal clear DTS Sound+ and boasts a 15.6-inch diagonal HD display.
- The HP ProBook 645 G1 notebook runs on the latest AMD 35W quad-core or dual-core APUs.(10) With a 14-inch diagonal display and multiple docking options,(9) the HP ProBook 645 G1 is built to perform.
- The HP ProBook 655 G1 notebook is 19 percent thinner than the previous generation and delivers great visual performance with full-HD options for the 15.6-inch diagonal display and AMD Radeon HD 8000G Series graphics.
HP ProBook 400 Series: Proven durability meets stylish design
The HP ProBook 400 series now includes three notebooks—the HP Probook 440 G1, the HP ProBook 450 G1 and the HP ProBook 470 G1—with the speed of the latest 4th generation Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processors(5) to help business users work faster. The HP ProBook 450 G1 also features an optional touch interface on a premium shatter-, reflection-, smudge- and scratch-resistant screen, enabling greater productivity by providing another way to interact with apps and data.
The HP ProBook 400 series is designed to look good on the go with an attractive meteorite gray chassis with soft touch finish and an all-metal keyboard deck. The HP ProBook 400 series adds substance to its style with a new hybrid hard drive option that offers the responsiveness of an SSD(11) with the capacity of a traditional hard drive, along with optional 4G LTE,(9,12,13) HSPA+ WWAN, (9,13,14) Skype (15) and rich DTS Sound+.
HP Security Jacket: Enhanced identity and network protection for HP ElitePad
The new HP Security Jacket adds critical functionality to the HP ElitePad, HP’s Windows 8 commercial tablet. It allows device and network access only to those with approved access through single- or multi-factor user authentication via a thin and light jacket design. Ideal for government, healthcare and security-sensitive corporate environments, the TAA-compliant Security Smart Jacket includes a Smart Card Reader(16) that allows FIPS 140-2 encryption solutions and offers an optional fingerprint reader, both of which meet FIPS 201 requirements.
Additionally, the HP Security Jacket offers USB 3.0 and HDMI ports for convenient connectivity. Paired with HP’s included Device Access Manager software with Just In Time authentication, the jacket’s USB port can be easily secured for limited, authorized use of removable storage devices during a brief allotted time after authentication. The HP Security Jacket is compatible with the HP ElitePad dock for easy desktop productivity with dual display support.
Pricing and availability(17)
- The HP EliteBook 800 series is now available in the United States, with pricing starting at $799.
- The HP ProBook 640, HP ProBook 645 and HP ProBook 650 are expected to be available in the United States by Nov. 18, while the HP ProBook 655 is expected to be available in the United States by Nov. 25. Pricing for the HP ProBook 600 series starts at under $699.
- The HP ProBook 400 series is now available in the United States, with pricing starting at $499.
- The HP Security Jacket for the HP ElitePad is available now, starting at $249 with integrated smart card reader and $439 with the addition of the optional fingerprint reader.
(1) Not all configurations will be classified as Ultrabooks.
(2) Requires separately purchased slice battery and configuration with Intel HD graphics and optional solid state drive. Windows 7 battery life will vary depending on numerous factors including product model, configuration, loaded applications, features, use, wireless functionality and power management settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will naturally decrease with time and usage. See www.bapco.com for additional details.
(3) HP EliteBook series passed MIL STD 810G testing for drop, shock, vibration, dust, altitude, high and low temperature, and temperature shock. Testing was not intended to demonstrate fitness for Department of Defense contracts requirements or for military use. Test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test conditions.
(4) HP Sure Start is available only on HP EliteBook 800 and HP Workstation ZBook series products. Self-healing capabilities are targeted at BIOS attacks; some attack may require manual recovery tasks.
(5) Multi-Core is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. 64-bit computing on Intel architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers, and applications enabled for Intel 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on hardware and software configurations. Intel’s numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
(6) Compared to previous models.
(7) HP Trust Circles Standard, when included, allows up to five Trust Circles with up to five contacts in each Trust Circle. Optional Trust Circles Professional required for unrestricted number of Trust Circles and members contacts. Trust Circles Reader is available to allow a contact to participate in an invited Trust Circle. Requires Windows. Trust Circles is planned to be available Fall 2013.
(8) HP Client Security requires Windows.
(9) Sold separately or as an optional feature.
(10) This system requires a separately purchased 64-bit operating system and 64-bit software products to take advantage of the 64-bit processing capabilities of AMD technology. Multi core processing with AMD technology is designed to improve performance of this system. Given the wide range of SW applications available, performance will vary. AMD’s numbering is not a measurement of clock speed.
(11) The 500 GB capacity Hybrid HDD will be on the HP ProBook 440, 450 and 470, while only an SSD is available on the HP ProBook 430.
(12) 4G LTE not available in all regions and only available on products featuring Intel processors.
(13) Broadband is optional and use requires separately purchased service contract. Check with service provider for coverage and availability in a specific area.
(14) 3G available in select markets.
(15) Internet access required.
(16) Smart card and smart card middleware are required and sold separately. Third-party security software can be purchased separately.
(17) Estimated U.S. street prices. Actual prices may vary.
Intel and Core are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and other countries. Microsoft and Windows are U.S. registered trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies. AMD is a trademark of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
This news release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of management for future operations; any statements concerning expected development, performance, market share or competitive performance relating to products and services; any statements regarding anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include the need to address the many challenges facing HP’s businesses; the competitive pressures faced by HP’s businesses; risks associated with executing HP’s strategy; the impact of macroeconomic and geopolitical trends and events; the need to manage third party suppliers and the distribution of HP’s products and services effectively; the protection of HP’s intellectual property assets, including intellectual property licensed from third parties; risks associated with HP’s international operations; the development and transition of new products and services and the enhancement of existing products and services to meet customer needs and respond to emerging technological trends; the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its suppliers, customers and partners; the hiring and retention of key employees; integration and other risks associated with business combination and investment transactions; the execution, timing and results of restructuring plans, including estimates and assumptions related to the cost and the anticipated benefits of implementing those plans; the resolution of pending investigations, claims and disputes; and other risks that are described in HP’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended April 30, 2013 and HP’s other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including HP’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2012. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
© 2013 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
About HP Inc.
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions, and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
© 2016 HP Inc. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP Inc. products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP Inc. shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.