HP’s CEO visits Chongqing in support of China’s “Go West” strategy
Chongqing, China, June 28, 2011 – HP President and Chief Executive Officer, Léo Apotheker, today visited Chongqing to meet senior government officials, and reaffirm the city’s importance as a base for serving HP’s customers, both in western and central China and around the world. Ann Livermore, Member, HP Board of Directors and Interim Lead, HP Enterprise Services, Todd Bradley, executive vice president, Personal Systems Group and executive sponsor for China, Jan Zadak, executive vice president of HP Global Sales and Marketing, Piau-Phang (PP) Foo, managing director and senior vice president of Global Sales for HP Asia Pacific and Japan and Steve Gill, managing director and vice president of Global Sales for China HP, also attended the meeting.
HP announced it would donate1,000 HP PCs in support of Chongqing’s rural development efforts. The company also committed to donating an additional 10,000 PCs nationwide to rural community projects to help bridge the digital divide. HP’s PCs will go to schools, hospitals and communities in need of basic technology to communicate, teach, learn and treat.
"HP is attracted to Chongqing for its vision and investment in technology, its well-educated workforce and its location to help serve our customers in western for western China better and faster,” said Apotheker. “We are proud to be an established member of the Chongqing community and we look forward to expanding our close partnership with the city.”
HP was the first international technology company to establish a major presence in Chongqing in 2005 with its commitment to open a Global Enterprise Services Best Shore Delivery Center. Since then it has opened a state-of-the-art PC manufacturing plant and other global facilities. These moves support China’s ‘Go West’ economic and social growth strategy.
From January to April of this year, HP’s ecosystem accounted for 20 percent of Chongqing’s imports (USD $396.2 million) and exports (USD $633.25 million)1.
Mayor Huang Qifan commented: “HP has undoubtedly helped transform Chongqing into a vibrant and internationally attractive economy. It has created employment opportunities, brought global resources and innovative technologies, and created an operationally efficient and sustainable supply chain to help Chongqing diversify into a leading technology hub and production center for western and central China. We look forward to continued collaboration with HP as we look to our next phase of growth.”
HP in Chongqing facts
- In 2005 HP announced plans to build a Global Enterprise Services Best Shore Delivery Center in Chongqing. This facility is responsible for applications, infrastructure technology and business process outsourcing services for HP’s enterprise customers in China and globally.
- In 2008 HP announced plans to build a second PC manufacturing facility for China in Chongqing.
- In 2008 HP announced its plans to establish an enterprise services Global Call Center in Chongqing. This facility is now fully operational servicing customers in China and globally.
- In 2010 HP’s first ‘made in Chongqing’ notebook came off the product line. Only HP manufacturing facility in China that produces both desktops and laptops.
- Chongqing is HP’s second production base in China, following Shanghai.
- It boasts more than 10 state-of-the-art production lines, has the capacity to produce up to 4 million PCs a year and covers an area of 20,000 square meters.
- It produces HP's full line of notebook and desktop products.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. The world’s largest technology company, HP brings together a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure at the convergence of the cloud and connectivity, creating seamless, secure, context-aware experiences for a connected world. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com.cn.
About HP Inc.
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions, and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
© 2016 HP Inc. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP Inc. products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP Inc. shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.