New HP Storage Technologies Drive Down Costs
Ideal for midsize and enterprise customers, direct connect SAS storage helps reduce costs and simplify storage environments. Customers can configure their DAS for the capacity, performance and utilization requirements their applications require from a centralized pool of storage.
For many applications and server infrastructures, DAS is the preferred solution for its performance, economical and easy-to-deploy capabilities. Traditionally, blade server administrators had limited DAS options, forcing them to place data in a storage area network (SAN) and negotiate storage requirements with SAN administrators.
HP direct connect SAS storage now allows server administrators to easily build out local server storage as needed without disrupting applications. They can utilize DAS where needed while taking advantage of SAN-like consolidation. This new, efficient process eliminates stranded storage but preserves the benefits of DAS. As a result, customers can more easily align storage configuration to their application needs and streamline IT operations to accelerate business growth.
The MDS600 is an affordable, in-rack SAS solution that delivers high-density external storage for HP BladeSystem. Server administrators can eliminate costs by occupying less data center space than traditional external storage. In addition, they can remove complexity by assigning storage to specific BladeSystem servers.
By installing up to 70 one terabyte (TB) drives in a single MDS600, the small 5U footprint offers up to 230 percent savings in rack space over traditional external storage solutions. In addition, up to six MDS600s can be connected to a single BladeSystem enclosure for customers needing large amounts of storage space. For those same customers, the system can scale up to 420 TB of storage allocated across 16 BladeSystem servers.
Together, HP direct connect SAS storage and the MDS600 also help customers:
Optimize performance and scalability
• Enhance business processes and mitigate risk through an in-rack storage architecture that offers high performance and low latency
• Support demanding applications and workloads required for business innovation, as the HP Smart Array P700m controller supplies high throughput from server to storage
• Grow storage only as demands increase – dedicate up to 100 drives to each BladeSystem server
Simplify and accelerate deployment
• Enable “just-in-time” allocation of new storage to any server, as groups of drives are assigned directly to individual blade servers as local storage for additional capacity
• Allow server administrators to concentrate on mission-critical operations by removing complex configuration or re-wiring when expanding direct attached storage
Improve total cost of ownership
• Focus resources on more strategic projects, as the straightforward end-to-end 3 Gb per second SAS architecture eliminates operating expenses and complexity
• Protect business critical data and investments through fault prediction capability that detects potential disk drive problems so the drive can be replaced while still under warranty
• Reduce administrative costs by integrating with HP BladeSystem Onboard Administrator and HP Insight Control Software for simple, integrated management of the BladeSystem infrastructure
More information about the HP direct connect SAS storage and the MDS600 is available at www.hp.com/go/zoned-SAS and www.hp.com/go/mds600.
Pricing and availability
The direct connect SAS storage solution with the MDS600 will be available at the end of April with an estimated U.S. list price starting at $10,000.(1)
(1) Actual price may vary.
About HP Inc.
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions, and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
© 2016 HP Inc. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP Inc. products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP Inc. shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.