HP Converged Storage Helps Customers Simplify with Unified, Flash and Backup Solutions
BARCELONA, Dec. 2, 2014 — HP today announced a refreshed portfolio of midrange and flash-optimized HP 3PAR StoreServ systems designed to improve efficiency and performance, while reducing complexity. The portfolio offers new workload-centric storage personas, including unified storage access as well as data protection for flat backup to HP StoreOnce.
During the twelve months ending June 30, 2014, as reported by IDC, HP grew external storage systems revenue faster year over year compared to any of the other top five vendors. HP also gained the highest market share during the same twelve months within the worldwide external midrange storage market and was the top provider of midrange Storage Area Network arrays in EMEA.(1) The 600% year on year growth in HP's all flash offerings and share gains in midrange storage is proof of HP's successful efforts to expand to new markets.(2)
Building on this momentum, HP is releasing new midrange and flash storage innovations include 3PAR File Persona software and the HP 3PAR StoreServ 7440c Converged Flash Array, which provides all-flash performance, unified storage agility, hybrid storage affordability and flat backup of 3PAR StoreServ snapshots to HP StoreOnce Backup fully orchestrated through HP OneView for VMware vCenter Server.
“Enterprises today understand that complexity can be a major bottleneck to new business expansion and IT innovation,” said David Scott, senior vice president and general manager, Storage, HP. “Today’s announcement builds on our vision for HP Converge Storage to simplify storage through polymorphic architectures with a single platform built for the New Style of IT.”
Reducingcomplexity and datacenter spacewith HP 3PARStoreServ
Traditional “unified storage” solutions promise device consolidation but do so at the expense of real-world efficiency and performance. The HP 3PAR StoreServ 7000c-series with 3PAR File Persona software overcomes these gaps with converged file and object-access alongside existing flash-optimized block storage; reducing datacenter footprint 66 percent.(3)
HP 3PAR File Persona delivers Network File System, Common Internet File System and object access on new HP 3PAR StoreServ platforms and is the first in a set of HP innovations aimed at boosting utilization and lowering costs by moving storage-affinity related workloads such as data access, protection and analytics directly into the storage operating system and controller. Delivering on its vision for Converged Storage, these new persona-enabled 3PAR StoreServ systems provide multi-protocol access to a single-shared capacity group for all workloads to boost utilization and lower costs. HP was recently positioned the furthest for completeness of vision in the leaders quadrant of Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for General Purpose Arrays.(4)
All block, file, and object-access management is integrated within a new 3PAR StoreServ Management Console, which simplifies administration via a search-enabled dashboard and seamless HP OneView experience. Additional benefits for shared workloads include:
- Lower expenses through consolidation of home directories, file shares, and cloud applications coexisting alongside virtual servers, databases, and other workloads.
- Greater performance from access to all-flash at the same cost per usable GB as disk drives, or further reduces costs with dynamically tiered flash systems, both of which feature quality of service controls for bandwidth IOPs and latency.
- Reduced risk with tier-1 data services such as replication across synchronous, asynchronous, and multi-site configurations as well as secure encryption for all data without giving up midrange affordability.
- Improved productivity with file specific features such as access controls, quotas, file snapshots with end user based recovery, and antivirus scanning.
Modernizing legacy storage infrastructure with HP
The new HP 3PAR StoreServ 7440c Converged Flash Array transcends traditional storage categorization and helps customers maximize investments through a unique combination of attributes. With unified access, 3.5 Petabytes usable capacity, all-flash optimized performance over 900,000 IOPs, tier-1 resiliency, and 16Gb Fibre Channel connectivity, this midrange-priced system can cut storage rack space requirements by 19x and reduce costs by 8x.(5)
Customers can configure the HP 3PAR StoreServ 7440c as an all-flash array or use a combination of flash and spinning media to lower costs to $1.70 per usable GB.(6) This spinning media support expands customers’ ability to consolidate more applications and lower costs over time by moving less critical data off of all-flash capacity. In addition, HP is also announcing enhanced HP 3PAR StoreServ 7200c, 7400c and all-flash 7450c platforms. All of these new hardware models have more processing cores, larger memory caches, and support for block, file and object-access.
To overcome the roadblocks that enterprises face when modernizing their storage, HP 3PAR Online Import software now simplifies data migration from EMC VMAX systems in addition to EMC VNX and CLARIiiON CX4 systems. HP 3PAR Online Import saves customers time and money by enabling self-managed platform migration and inline thin volume conversion without requiring professional services engagements or external hardware appliances.
17x faster backup with application-managed flat backup forHP3PAR StoreServ
A new data protection offering, HP StoreOnce Recovery Manager Central (RMC) software, enables application-managed snapshots on 3PAR StoreServ systems together with automatic movement of changed data to a HP StoreOnce Backup target, delivering greater protection versus primary storage snapshots alone. With initial support for VMware vSphere®, StoreOnce RMC is both simple and low cost, allowing direct backup from primary storage to secondary storage for VM-level backups. Flat backup topology is enabled by StoreOnce RMC’s Express Protect feature and offers 17x faster data protection than traditional backup.(7) Customer benefits also include:
- Less complexity with flexible, simple snapshot management—including backup and recovery—within the HP OneView for VMware vCenter Server™ integration.
- Increased business protection via rapid backup and online recovery of virtual machines and data stores with VM-consistent array snapshots.
- Greater flexibility through simple, programmatic access enabling application consistent snapshot creation for custom applications or ISV integration to rapid recovery and flat backup.
- Reduced risk and cost with reliable, off-system deduplicated backup to HP StoreOnce Backup systems and StoreOnce Virtual Storage Appliances (VSA) without compromising the simplicity of primary storage snapshots.
HP also expanded its Software-defined Storage offerings with a 50 terabyte (TB) HP StoreOnce VSA option that provides a higher capacity point to enable Backup-as-a-Service consolidation. Expanded support for Kernel-based Virtual Machine in addition to VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V Server support enables greater flexibility and choice. HP also offers a one TB StoreOnce VSA for free, to allow customers to try out HP StoreOnce Backup and StoreOnce RMC’s Express Protect to see the benefits first hand.
Already the industry’s fastest and most scalable scale-out backup target, the HP StoreOnce Backup 6500 with Federated Catalyst now supports system-wide deduplication across eight nodes. While competing architectures require management of backup resources for each backup node, Federated Catalyst pools backup resources across eight nodes for simplified management, improved performance, and more efficient deduplication. To provide a greater degree of ISV choice and improve recoverability of business applications, the HP StoreOnce Catalyst ecosystem has expanded to include Microsoft SQL Server, Symantec NetBackup™ AIR and Accelerator, and enhancements for the existing database backup manager.
Pricing and availability from HP and HP authorized channel partners(8)
- HP 3PAR StoreServ 7440c Converged Flash Array is immediately available through HP and worldwide channel partners starting at $78,000.(9)
- HP StoreServ Management Console is available Dec. 15 at no additional charge as a part of the 3PAR Operating System version 3.2.1 MU2.
- HP 3PAR File Persona Software Suite will be available for production deployments in limited geographies starting January 2015 at $129 per usable TB.(10)
- HP StoreOnce Recovery Manager Central for VMware will be available worldwide January 2015 with prices starting at $2500.
- HP OneView for VMware vCenter 7.5 is a free download when managing HP storage. HP Server and converged management features are licensed with HP OneView.
- HP OneView Advanced version 1.20 for converged management is currently available starting at $799 per server.
- For customer looking to capitalize on the latest HP Converged Storage offer, HP Financial Services delivers flexible investment solutions(11) that provide a simple, scalable and predictable payment option that is aligned to business needs. Customers can now quickly gain the flexibility to acquire and pay for the storage capacity current business requirements necessitate.
(1) External disk share & midrange SAN array market based on IDC Q2 Quarterly DSS Tracker. Major storage vendors include EMC, Netapp, IBM, Hitachi and Dell.
(2) HP internal calculation.
(3) Taneja Group, December 2014, “Unified storage array efficiency: HP 3PAR StoreServ 7400c versus EMC VNX 5600 http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA5-5869ENW&cc=us&lc=en
(4) Gartner Magic Quadrant for General-Purpose Disk Arrays, published November 20th 2014
(5) HP internal comparison of publically available specifications and pricing for EMC VMAX and VG8 File Gateway compared to 3PAR StoreServ 7440c. Nov. 2014
(6) Based on average HP street pricing for a 4-node 3PAR StoreServ 7440c with 100TB SSD capacity (1.92TB cMLC SSD drives) and 100TB hard disk capacity (1.2TB 10K SAS). Assumes 4:1 compaction ratio for SSD tier and 2:1 compaction ratio for hard disk tier. Actual prices may vary
(7) HP internal testing, Nov. 2014.
(8) Estimated U.S. list prices. Actual prices may vary.
(9) Requires 3PAR Operating System version 3.2.1. Includes 2-node HP 3PAR StoreServ 7440c with eight 480GB cMLC solid state drives, and operating system software.
(10) Starting license price based on a HP 3PAR StoreServ 7200c. Capacity license based on usable capacity after RAID overhead.
(11) Financing and service offerings available through Hewlett-Packard Financial Services Company and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively HPFSC) in certain countries and are subject to credit approval and execution of standard HPFSC documentation. Rates and terms are based on customer’s credit rating, offering types, services and/or equipment type and options. Not all customers may qualify. Not all services or offers are available in all countries. Other restrictions may apply. HPFSC reserves the right to change or cancel this program at any time without notice.
This news advisory contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of HP for future operations, including the separation transaction; the future performance if Hewlett-Packard Enterprise and HP Inc. if the separation is completed; any statements concerning expected development, performance, market share or competitive performance relating to products and services; any statements regarding anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include the need to address the many challenges facing HP’s businesses; the competitive pressures faced by HP’s businesses; risks associated with executing HP’s strategy, including the planned separation transaction, and plans for future operations and investments; the impact of macroeconomic and geopolitical trends and events; the need to manage third-party suppliers and the distribution of HP’s products and services effectively; the protection of HP’s intellectual property assets, including intellectual property licensed from third parties; risks associated with HP’s international operations; the development and transition of new products and services and the enhancement of existing products and services to meet customer needs and respond to emerging technological trends; the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its suppliers, customers, clients and partners; the hiring and retention of key employees; integration and other risks associated with business combination and investment transactions; the execution, timing and results of restructuring plans, including estimates and assumptions related to the cost and the anticipated benefits of implementing those plans; the execution, timing and results of the separation transaction or restructuring plans, including estimates and assumptions related to the cost (including any possible disruption of HP’s business) and the anticipated benefits of implementing the separation transaction and restructuring plans; the resolution of pending investigations, claims and disputes; and other risks that are described in HP’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2013, and HP’s other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including HP’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended July 31, 2014. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
© 2014 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.
About HP Inc.
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions, and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
© 2016 HP Inc. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP Inc. products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP Inc. shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.