Remove dust and scratches from your photos
Instantly improve photos with the automatic dust and scratch removal feature on your HP Scanjet scanner
Support & Drivers
Learn how to instantly improve the look of older or frequently handled photos using the dust and scratch removal feature of your HP Scanjet scanner. Discover all that this feature can do, and how easy it is with the included HP Solution Center software.
Discover the benefits of dust & scratch removal
This before and after shot demonstrates how the dust and scratch removal feature of your HP Scanjet scanner can improve the look of your favorite snapshots.
The dust and scratch removal feature on your HP Scanjet scanner can detect photo imperfections such as dust, residue, and small scratches resulting from general wear and tear.
While this feature cannot adequately restore major photo damage such as rips or water damage, it can correct most minor imperfections, helping to instantly improve the look of your photos and preserve their original luster.
Dust and scratch removal works in two distinct ways:
Scanning software detects and removes imperfections from a digital image after the scanning process
- Scanning hardware detects and removes imperfections during the scanning process
Using your scanning software
It's easy remove dust and scratches from photos with your HP Scanjet scanner and the included HP Solution Center software.
You can remove dust and scratches from a digitally scanned image using the included HP Solution Center software HP Scanjet scanner, such as the HP Scanjet G3110 Scanner, and the HP Scanjet G4050 Photo Scanner.
For the purpose of this how-to, we're illustrating the process using the HP Scanjet G4050 Photo Scanner.
Just follow the steps outlined below.
Step One: Place your photo on the scanner glass
Place your photo facedown on the scanner glass.
- Open the scanner lid and place your photo facedown on the scanner glass. For best results, start with clean scanner glass and be sure to align the corner of your photo in one corner of the scanner bed.
Step Two: Open your scanning software
Enter the HP Solution Center and click Scan Picture.
- Next, enter the HP Solution Center and select your scanner from the list along the left hand side of the window. (The HP Solution Center is usually found on your computer's desktop or in your programs folder.)
- Under Start an activity, select the Scan Picture option.
Step Three: Select your file type
Select Picture to File
Under File Type, select Jpeg Image.
- From the Scan Shortcuts menu, select Picture to File, then click Scan.
- Under File Type, select Jpeg Image.
Step Four: Select a destination for your scanned photo
Click Browse to select a destination for your scan. Then click OK.
- Under Save Location, click the Browse button to select a location to save your scanned picture, such as a photo folder or your computer's desktop.
- Click OK to perform an initial scan.
Step Five: Select the dust and scratch removal feature
Select the Remove Dust & Scratches box under the Correct Picture tab.
- Select the Correct Picture tab, and check the Remove Dust & Scratches box.
- Click Finish to complete your scan. Traces of dust and small scratches on your digital image will be automatically corrected.
Using your scanning hardware
From the Solution Center Scan Button Settings select Manage Scan Shortcuts.
From the Advanced Picture Settings check the Remove Dust & Scratches box.
If you are using the HP Scanjet G4050 Photo Scanner, dust and scratches can be removed automatically during the scanning process, using your scanning hardware—no software required!
To change your scan settings to apply dust and scratch removal:
- Open the HP Solution Center and click Settings.
- In the Scan Settings menu, select Solution Center Scan Button Settings.
- Click Manage Scan Shortcuts.
- Click Advanced Picture Settings.
- Check the Remove Dust & Scratches box and click OK.
Your scanner will now be configured to perform an extra scan pass to automatically remove dust and scratches from your scanned items.
Find an HP Scanjet scanner with this useful feature
HP has a variety of scanners to meet all your photo and document scanning needs.
- Quality photo scans with 4800 x 9600 dpi, 48-bit color1
- Scan slides, negatives, photos, and documents
- Edit text from scanned documents
- Superior color accuracy and photo reproduction with 6-color, 96-bit scanning2
- Restore faded colors from photos
- Efficient slide and negative scanning
Visit the HP printer buying guides to see the entire selection of HP printers and e-All-in-Ones.
- With an HP Scanjet scanner, photo scanning is just the beginning of all you can do! Check out these articles to learn how to scan 3-D objects and scan and share children's artwork.
- Scanning photos to create new and improved prints? Be sure to choose the right paper for your HP photo printer before you print!
- Discover even more ways to improve your original photo prints through scanning.