Choosing ink for your photo printer
How to identify and shop for the right ink for your HP Photosmart photo printer or all-in-one
Support & Drivers
Don’t compromise on quality when it comes to printer ink cartridges. If you want more photo prints, great reliability, and amazing value, you want Original HP inks. HP offers a variety of ink cartridge types for many of its printers. Our tips will make it easy for you to find—and shop for—the ideal ink for your HP Photosmart photo printer or all-in-one.
How to find the right HP ink
Get the right ink every time—take this wallet-sized ink card with you when shopping for cartridges.
HP offers several ways for you to identify the right ink for your printer.
- HP ink cartridge boxes list compatible HP printers right on the box.
- You can find the recommended HP ink cartridges on your printer’s box and in your printer manual.
- HP ink cartridges are coded by color.
- Look for the handy, wallet-sized ink reference card in your HP Photosmart printer box. It lists both your printer model as well as recommended inks by number.
Ways to save money on ink
HP Photo Value Packs conveniently bundle ink and photo paper together to save you money.
Buy HP twin or combo ink cartridge packs and get more ink for one low price.
Save money by using high-capacity cartridges and photo value packs.
- Save up to 40% on your printing with Original HP XL Ink cartridges1
- Find savings in a value pack. HP Photo Value Packs bundle HP ink and photo paper together for the best value.
- Save Up to 10% Everyday with HP Multipacks1
- Get free next-business day shipping on ink, toner, and paper when you buy supplies direct from the HP Home and Home Office online store.
Discover other ways to save money when printing photos at home.
Save money and get better results with Original HP ink
Get more for your money: Original HP ink cartridges let you print more vibrant, long-lasting pictures.
Original HP ink cartridges ensure that your photo prints come out right the first time, every time.
- Original HP ink is specifically engineered to work with your photo printer and HP photo paper for brilliant color and prints that can last for generations.
- Original HP ink cartridges are proven to be more reliable than bargain ink cartridges, saving you money in the long-term.
How to check your printer’s ink levels
You can check estimated printer ink levels directly from your printer’s touchscreen.
Ink level indicators are only an estimate. You do not need to change your ink cartridges until the print quality becomes unacceptable.
Ink level indicators provide estimates to help you plan your ink purchases.
All HP Photosmart photo printers have a front-panel, on-screen ink level gauge. Access to the feature varies by product, but, in most cases, this is done by accessing Tools via the Settings menu.
If your photo printer has a touchscreen, you can select the ink icon on the interface (it looks like an ink drop) or access this information via the Tools menu.
You can also check ink levels on your PC by opening the HP Solution Center software.
In Windows XP:
- Click Start.
- Choose All Programs.
- Select HP.
- Click HP Solution Center.
Recycle your ink cartridges
Original HP ink cartridges are designed with the environment in mind and offer free and convenient recycling.
With the HP Planet Partners Recycling Program, plastics and metals from recycled cartridges are recovered for use in new products.
It’s easy and free. HP’s Planet Partners recycling service makes it easy to recycle your computer hardware and supplies, and your HP printing supplies. You can request postage-paid shipping materials online or find other return options.
How to order ink
No more downtime from not having supplies when you need them.
- You can search supplies by printer model at the HP online store. Just enter your printer model for a list of recommended supplies.
- Receive automatic alerts when your printer is low on supplies and enjoy simple reordering of reliable cartridges with Sure Supply—a free and easy-to-use tool that sends automatic alerts when HP printers are low on print supplies.
- Choose between ordering online from your preferred retailer or directly from HP (and get free shipping).
- 1Compared with single, standard HP ink cartridges. Based on average retail