Print 8" x 10" photos at home and save
Use an HP Photosmart printer or All-in-One to make 8" x 10" prints for framing and displaying
Support & Drivers
A large selection of photo frames are 8" x 10", and yet 8" x 10" is not a common photo paper size. We'll show you how to save money by printing your own 8" x 10" photos on standard 8.5" x 11" paper using your HP Photosmart printer or All-in-One.
Why print 8" x 10" photos at home?
Frame your 8" x 10" photo print for a professional-quality look without a professional's price.
There are many reasons to print 8" x 10" photos yourself:
Professional-quality photo displays
Many photos, especially those capturing important milestones and events, benefit from a larger, more professional-looking format:
- Family portraits
- Wedding photos
- Senior pictures
Choose Original HP inks and select HP photo paper and your lab-quality photos can last for generations.1.
Use as gifts or home décor
After printing, just place your 8" x 10" photo in a frame and you have a gorgeous, low-cost gift for family and friends, or a way to decorate bare walls without breaking the bank.
Before you print: Learn about resolution
Right-click a photo, then select Properties to access information about your photo, including the number of pixels.
Resolution indicates the quality of your photos. The higher the resolution, the larger you can print your picture.
- Every digital image is made up of pixels, and the number of pixels is what determines the resolution.
- The more pixels in your original photo, the crisper and more clear your image will appear as you increase its size.
- Make sure your image has enough pixels to print at 8" x 10".
- For a quality photo print at this size, your image should be at least 900 x 720 pixels.
- Set your print quality to "Best".
- Check to see how many pixels your image has before printing. For example, in Windows Live Photo Gallery, just right-click an image and a Preview photo dialog box will appear. Select Properties, and you'll find a variety of information about the image, including the number of pixels.
Print 8" x 10" photos with an HP Photosmart printer
When you print an 8" x 10" photo on 8.5" x 11" paper, you will need to trim the white border before framing.
Here's how to print 8" x 10" photos on 8.5" x 11" paper using an HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One. The process is similar on other Photosmart All-in-Ones.
- Select Preview on the printer's home screen.
- Select Layout. You will be shown several options for image size and paper size.
- Select 8" x 10" on 8.5" x 11".
- Select Print.
Your print will be centered on the 8.5" x 11" paper, making it necessary to trim the four sides surrounding the image.
Tips for trimming and displaying
For high-quality 8" x 10" photos use HP photo paper. For straight edges and less time trimming, use a paper cutter.
- Don't try and trim your photos with scissors—use an X-ACTO knife, cutting mat, and a straight edge, such as a ruler, for accurate trimming.
- If you have access to one, you can also use a paper cutter for quick trimming and smooth edges.
Frame without trimming
- If you don't feel comfortable trimming the edges of your photos, buy 11" x 14" frames that feature 8" x 10" mats. Print your photo on 8.5" x 11" paper, and your photo will fit in the frame without being cut off by the mat.
Find more creative ideas to frame and display your 8" x 10" photos.
Use the right supplies
HP Photosmart e-All-in-Ones deliver vibrant colors making them perfect for your 8" x 10" photo prints. And, you’ll get consistent print quality and reliability with Original HP photo paper and Original HP ink.
HP Premium Plus
Make memories last—photos resist fading for generations.1 Plus, prints dry instantly and provide rich, vivid colors that are smudge and water-resistant.
Original HP ink
You can save up to 40% on your printing with Original HP XL Ink cartridges.2 This is a great choice if you’re printing many copies of your newsletter.
HP’s premier, ultra-versatile e-All-in-One for printing lab quality photos and everyday documents. You can also copy, scan, fax, and access the Web. Plus, with HP ePrint, you can print from your smartphone or tablet from virtually anywhere!3
Visit the HP Photosmart buying guides to see which printer has the features to fit your needs.
- 1Display-permanence rating by Wilhelm Imaging Research, Inc., or HP Image Permanence Lab. For details, see hp.com/go/printpermanence.
- 2Compared with single, standard HP ink cartridges. Based on average retail pricing, actual prices may vary.
- 3Requires an Internet connection to HP web-enabled printer and HP ePrint account registration (for a list of eligible printers, supported documents and image types and other HP ePrint details, see www.hp.com/go/eprintcenter). Mobile devices require Internet connection and email capability. May require wireless access point. Separately purchased data plans or usage fees may apply. Print times and connection speeds may vary.