HP Newsroom > News releases
HP to Embed Sprint Mobile Broadband Service in Business Notebook PCsPALO ALTO, Calif., Oct. 22, 2007
HP today announced that it will integrate Sprint mobile broadband capabilities into several HP business notebook PCs, giving mobile professionals convenient access to the fastest and largest U.S. mobile broadband network.(1)
The companies will jointly market HP business notebooks that can take advantage of the dynamic features of the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network, such as the faster data speeds provided by 3G EV-DO Rev. A technology.(2)
When on the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network, HP business customers will be able to enjoy wireless connections at broadband speeds to corporate networks, email and the Internet without being tied to a wireless hotspot.(3) Customers also will be equipped for more powerful applications and services as they become available.
"HP is working with a mobility pioneer such as Sprint to further drive richer and more pervasive on-the-go computing," said Ann Avery, product manager, Commercial Notebooks - North America, Personal Systems Group, HP. "Businesses of all sizes are looking for speedy, convenient connectivity to the people and information that is most important to them, and our broad portfolio of wireless business notebooks together with the extensive speed and coverage of the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network delivers."
In October 2006, Sprint became the first carrier to commercially deploy its mobile broadband network with the faster 3G EV-DO Rev. A technology and has updated the vast majority of its mobile broadband network to EV-DO Rev. A. Sprint covers more square miles, cities and airports with mobile broadband than any other carrier.
"Sprint continues to expand the ways it can give customers quick and easy access to the information they need, all at SprintSpeed™," said Tom Moore, director of mobile business applications, Sprint. "We look forward to combining the coverage and speed of the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network with a quality notebook vendor like HP to keep customers better connected and more productive."
HP mobile broadband notebook PCs
Across the lineup, HP business notebook PCs feature security, reliability and ease of use innovations such as Drive Encryption for HP Protect Tools, HP DuraKeys(4) and HP QuickLook, which with a touch of a button allows users to browse email, calendars and contact information in as little as 10 seconds.(5) HP business notebooks that will integrate Sprint Mobile Broadband service, including support for EV-DO Rev. A technology, include the following models, as well as additional models expected later this year:
Pricing and availability(11)
HP business notebook PCs with integrated Sprint Mobile Broadband service are expected to be available starting in October. Sprint Mobile Broadband service package pricing will vary. Estimated U.S. street prices for the HP Compaq Notebook PCs:
More information on these HP notebook PCs with built-in Sprint Mobile Broadband service and other HP mobility solutions is available at http://www.hp.com/go/Mobility2007.
More information on the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network, including coverage and service plans, is available at http://wwwsprint.com/mobilebroadband..
HP focuses on simplifying technology experiences for all of its customers – from individual consumers to the largest businesses. With a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure, HP is among the world’s largest IT companies, with revenue totaling $100.5 billion for the four fiscal quarters ended July 31, 2007. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com.
(1) Fastest claim based on total network size (square miles) multiplied by network upload/download speed capability. User speed experience may vary. Largest claim based on total network size (square miles). Coverage not available everywhere. See sprint.com/coverage for details.
(2) Average upload speeds range from 350 to 500 kbps, peaking at 1.8 Mbps. Average download speeds range from 600 kbps to 1.4 Mbps, peaking at 3.1 Mbps.
(3) Wireless use requires separately purchased service contract. Check with service provider for availability and coverage. Available in select countries only.
(4) Only offered on "p" class models.
(5) From sleep mode. Time will vary depending on configuration and state. HP QuickLook works with Microsoft Vista™ operating system only.
(6) Weight will vary by configuration.
(7) Purchased as an additional add-on or separately
(8) Battery life will vary depending on the product: model, configuration, loaded applications, features and power management settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will decrease with time and usage.
(9) Double-layer discs can store more data than single-layer discs. However, double-layer discs burned with this drive may not be compatible with many existing single-layer DVD drives and players. Note that DVD-RAM cannot read or write to 2.6 GB Single Sided/5.2 GB Double Sided - Version 1.0 media. Does not permit copying of commercially available DVD movies or other copyright materials. Intended for creation and storage of original material and other lawful uses.
(10) HP recommends having the notebook connected to AC power while writing to a Blu-ray disc. Users should not move the system while writing to a Blu-ray disc. HD-DVD movies cannot be played on this Notebook PC. This Blu-ray drive does not support writing to ultra-high speed CD-RW media (16x to 32x advertised performance).
(11) Actual prices may vary.
(12) Free Month Offer: Expires Dec. 31, 2008. Subject to change. Free month offer requires signing up for one of the following: one-year subscriber agreement for the domestic Connection Card Plan ($79.99) or North American Connection Card Plan ($109.99), or two-year subscriber agreement for the domestic Connection Card plan at $59.99 (net of all discounts). A service credit will be applied to accounts within 1-3 bill cycles. Taxes surcharges, and additional content or applications charges excluded. See http://www.hp.com/go/sprint for complete offer details, price plans, service terms and conditions, and coverage map. Credit approval required. $200 early termination fee applies if service is not cancelled within first 30 days. Click the Sprint icon on the HP notebook's desktop for service activation. Coverage not available everywhere - see http://www.sprint.com/coverage for details. Terms and conditions and additional restrictions apply. May not be combined with other offers.
This news release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of management for future operations; any statements concerning expected development, performance or market share relating to products and services; anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its customers, suppliers and partners; the achievement of expected results; and other risks that are described in HP's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended July 31, 2007 and HP's other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including but not limited to HP's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended Oct. 31, 2006. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
© 2007 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein.