Compaq Announces New Enterprise Storage Products (Advisory)
New Offerings Enhance Power of Compaq SAN and NAS
HOUSTON, February 26, 2002
Compaq Computer Corporation (NYSE: CPQ), the global leader in disk storage and the leading provider of SANs worldwide(1), has announced a wide range of new enterprise storage products designed to increase the versatility and power of existing Compaq SAN and NAS offerings.
- StorageWorks™ by Compaq MSL5052SL. Provides an innovative answer to backup and restore requirements in the departmental segment, with enterprise level features (hot plug drives, dual redundant power supply, seamless scalability, cPCI I/O slots), and the segment's highest storage density in a compact 10U form factor. Simplifies backup and restore management activities, providing unique data protection value.
- StorageWorks™ by Compaq Rackmount Tape Options. Growing demands on storage and increasing rack-densities have created the need for many customers to migrate their data protection solution outside of the server. Rackmount Tape Options provide low-cost, rack-dense solutions for moving Compaq DAT, AIT, DLT, and SDLT tape drives into small rackmount spaces.
- StorageWorks™ by Compaq SAN Switch 2/16. The next generation of Fibre Channel SAN fabric switches featuring increased transfer speed and the optional ability to trunk or aggregate the throughput of up to four inter-switch ports. The higher speed coupled with optional trunking feature allows users to install these switches in pairs as high speed backbone devices for joining SAN islands with minimal performance degradation. These switches are appropriate where increased performance and high throughput is needed for video streaming, intensive online transaction processing (OLTP), and medical imaging. The SAN Switch 2/16 combines 1Gbit/s and 2Gbit/s Fibre Channel throughput with new features that greatly enhance switch operation.
- StorageWorks™ by Compaq Enterprise Virtual Array Expansion Cabinets. Allows Enterprise Virtual Array customers to expand the disk capacity behind their Enterprise controllers. This enhancement consists of two "side car" cabinets that are easily cabled to the Enterprise Virtual Array.
- StorageWorks™ by Compaq AIT 100GB Tape Drive. The AIT 100GB tape drive provides enterprise environments with a data archival and data protection solution that delivers outstanding capacity, performance, reliability and density. The AIT 100GB, with a sustained native data transfer rate of 12MB/s makes it possible to quickly backup large volumes of data. The AIT 100GB provides outstanding reliability for enterprise environments.
- StorageWorks™ by Compaq SDLT 110/220GB Maintenance Kit. When implementing a data protection strategy, Compaq enterprise customers require the proper tools for minimizing system downtime, while increasing their level of data protection integrity. The SDLT 110/220GB Maintenance Kit provides these tools in a low-cost solution kit that supports all Compaq SDLT 110/220GB tape-based data protection solutions.
- Availability Management Service for SANs and Availability Monitoring Service for SANs. Highly proactive service combining availability assessment, monitoring, and service management for continuous improvement of availability in the customer's SAN infrastructure.
- StorageWorks™ by Compaq Array Controller Software (v8.6-4). A patched version of Array Controller Software (ACS) v8.6-1. It will be available in all ACS product families (L, G, F, S, and P) and is being provided as a convenience to customers.
StorageWorks by Compaq Array Controller Software (v8.6-1 Solutions Kits). The Solution Kits for the Array Controller Software (ACS) v8.6-1 provides access to the capabilities of the ACS 8.6-1 firmware. Today, we are announcing multiple enhancements to these kits to offer our customers the support they need to operate in their computing environment.
- StorageWorks™ by Compaq FC2257c Fibre Channel HBA (for Solaris). The StorageWorks cPCI-to-Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter for Solaris is a dual channel, 64-bit cPCI-to-Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter (HBA) with embedded multi-mode optical interface. It supports Private Loop Disk Attach and Fabric Loop Attach connections.
- StorageWorks™ by Compaq SAN. This helps to integrate the new offerings that we have introduced seamlessly into our overall SAN Solution.
- SANworks™ by Compaq Virtual Controller Software. Provides storage controller software capability for the HSV110 Array Controller.
- Compaq Alpha Rail Kit. Provides a low-cost solution for mounting either the StorageWorks DLT Tape Array III or StorageWorks MSL5026 in a Marquee-based AlphaServer™ rack.
Founded in 1982, Compaq Computer Corporation is a leading global provider of enterprise technology and solutions. Information on Compaq and its products and services is available at http://www.compaq.com.
1 Most recent figures available from Gartner Dataquest for 2000 sales
Compaq and the Compaq logo are trademarks of Compaq Information Technologies Group, L.P. Product names mentioned herein may be trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective companies. This document contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include the possibility that the Hewlett-Packard/Compaq merger does not close or that the companies may be required to modify aspects of the transaction to achieve regulatory approval or that prior to the closing of the proposed merger, the businesses of the companies suffer due to uncertainty; the market for the sale of certain products and services may not develop as expected; that development of these products and services may not proceed as planned; that Compaq and Hewlett-Packard are unable to transition customers, successfully execute their integration strategies, or achieve planned synergies; other risks that are described from time to time in Compaq and Hewlett-Packard's Securities and Exchange Commission reports (including but not limited to Compaq's annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2001, HP's annual report on Form 10-K, as amended on January 30, 2002, for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2001, and subsequently filed reports). If any of these risks or uncertainties materializes or any of these assumptions proves incorrect, Compaq's results could differ materially from Compaq's expectations in these statements. Compaq assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.