HP Files Patent Infringement Complaint Against EMC
PALO ALTO, Calif., Sept. 30, 2002
HP (NYSE: HPQ) has filed a patent infringement lawsuit against EMC Corp. in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
In the complaint, HP states that a range of features in EMC's Symmetrix, Clariion and TimeFinder products infringe upon seven of HP's U.S. patents.
"As a leader in storage solutions, we would prefer to compete with EMC in the marketplace," said Bob Schultz, vice president of marketing, HP Network Storage Solutions. "EMC, however, has opted to pursue a lawsuit against one of our technology providers, Hitachi, as well as against HP directly through ongoing litigation relative to StorageApps, which HP acquired last year. HP has a responsibility to ensure that, as we compete in the marketplace, we are not competing against our own intellectual property. We have a strong patent portfolio covering storage technology and we will protect it."
Specific patents named in the lawsuit include:
HP is seeking remedies in the form of monetary damages for past infringement as well as injunctive relief prohibiting EMC from continuing to use the intellectual property protected by the patents.
- 5,247,618 -- data transfer between storage media;
- 5,315,602 -- reducing the number of reads and writes in a RAID environment;
- 5,237,658 -- host computers coupled by a switching network to a storage array;
- 5,390,327 -- method and apparatus for handling a disk failure in a RAID array;
- 5,917,253 -- live AC mains power selector for a disk storage system;
- 6,269,453 -- method and apparatus for handling a disk failure in a RAID array; and
- 6,356,979 -- method and apparatus for presenting logical units to host computers.
HP is a leading global provider of products, technologies, solutions and services to consumers and businesses. The company's offerings span IT infrastructure, personal computing and access devices, global services and imaging and printing. HP completed its merger transaction involving Compaq Computer Corp. on May 3, 2002. More information about HP is available at http://www.hp.com.