HP Outlines Strategy to Help Businesses Prepare for Windows 10
PALO ALTO, Calif., July 13, 2015 — HP today unveiled a comprehensive set of offerings – including a unique set of devices, solutions and services – that complement Windows 10 to deliver a deep level of security.
“Our customers have told us that security continues to be their top concern and the changes in the security landscape have them looking for ways to protect their devices and data,” said Alex Cho, vice president & general manager, HP Commercial PCs. “The security features in Windows 10, coupled with our stylish and secure commercial devices – like the thinnest, lightest and most secure business-class notebook HP EliteBook Folio 1020 – help customers’ protect their organizations and maximize employee productivity in form factors users will love1.”
IT professionals are faced with managing and securing an increasingly complex and dynamic environment. Migrating to a new operating system can be a daunting prospect – particularly for businesses – a reason why nearly three-quarters of desktop users have a version of Windows that is almost six years old2.
To help businesses address these challenges, HP developed devices that increase productivity and deliver a range of support and services. This creates an easy migration path for businesses and helps enable channel partners to drive Windows 10 adoption for commercial customers.
HP and Windows 10 Deliver Security with Confidence
Windows 10 delivers improved user features, including the return of the Start menu and an interface that easily works with both touch and non-touch devices. Whether running legacy applications or more modern apps, businesses can be confident that the overall user experience will be consistent across multiple devices and form factors.
Windows 10 also includes a host of security enhancements to address modern security threats, including Device Guard, Windows Hello and Microsoft Passport, which provide advanced malware protection and authentication across applications, data and online experiences3.
Recent high-profile security breaches bring to light the risks to businesses associated with using older hardware and software. Simultaneously, businesses are experiencing rapidly changing threats that directly target identities, access control and data and attack deeper levels of a company’s infrastructure.
One area that remains a potential attack vector is the root, or BIOS: a privileged piece of software generally ignored by users, and if compromised undetectable by anti-virus software. Attacks on the BIOS have given hackers free reign over the system, including the installation of key logging software and other nefarious activity.
Today, HP has the industry’s only self-healing BIOS-level protection with HP Sure Start. This solution checks the BIOS before the operating system boots to ensure the BIOS has not been tampered with and resets the BIOS to its original state if an issue has been detected.
“Windows 10 provides new capabilities optimized for modern business needs including enterprise-grade security, identity and information protection,” said Nick Parker, CVP, OEM Division, Microsoft. “HP’s innovation around security, particularly with BIOS-level security found in HP Sure Start, provides an additional layer of protection for their hardware and sensitive data.”
Available on HP’s Elite line of notebooks and HP ZBooks, HP Sure Start combines with Device Guard in Windows 10 Enterprise to secure HP devices at the OS- and BIOS-level against security threats posed by viruses and malware attacks. This technology quickly restores productivity and reduces IT help calls in the event of a BIOS attack or corruption.
Identity and data automation and security policy management are vital areas businesses can invest in to make sure their information and assets are protected. To address these areas, HP offers several security and manageability solutions for businesses, including:
- HP Client Security, a suite of pre-installed, integrated solutions that delivers out-of-the box functionality for IT to easily manage and deploy endpoint protection. This offering is designed to safeguard devices by controlling access to ports and storage devices, including disk encryption; preventing unauthorized access to hard drives; and protecting user identities via password protection and user rights management.
- Multi-factor authentication for ease in enrolling and managing a variety of options for device and system sign-on. HP’s credential support includes passwords, smart cards, Bluetooth®, PIN and fingerprint matching performed inside the hardware, making it hard for rogue software to compromise the biometric match. The majority of HP’s commercial notebooks include hardened fingerprint readers, which gives a more secure input option for Windows Hello than non-hardened fingerprint readers.
- HP Touchpoint Manager strengthens and simplifies enforcement of security and mobility policies by enabling organizations to deploy a single, unified security model across PCs and mobile devices4. This means that apps, security policies and out-of-date software can be automatically updated and alert IT when something has been compromised or an issue is detected.
HP’s 2015 commercial portfolio was designed with Windows 10 in mind, which is important to enterprise customers who build their own corporate image to install on devices. For customers planning to re-image devices to the new operating system, HP has made this process as seamless as possible. Beginning in mid-August into October, the company’s existing commercial offerings will ship with the option of Windows 10 pre-installed.
HP devices available with Windows 10 include:
- The new BANG & OLUFSEN limited edition of the HP EliteBook Folio 1020. Building on the industry’s thinnest, lightest and most secure business-class notebook5 with Windows 10 and BANG & OLUFSEN AUDIO, the device takes advantage of Cortana6 and Skype for Business to enable collaboration with dual-array microphones, exclusive noise-cancelling software and HD webcam7.
- The recently announced thin and light HP Pro Tablet 608. The tablet has a 4:3 aspect ratio panel that provides a powerful combination of connectivity and performance built to support your business productivity needs and mobile workflows.
HP offers a variety of support and services available today for businesses of all sizes to help make the migration to Windows 10 as easy as possible.
For SMB customers, HP is offering HP Subscription8 – a new way for customers to access the latest PC technology for a monthly fee9. HP Subscription gives SMBs the ability to select a bundle of hardware, software and services designed for ease of use and more predictable refresh every two to three years. Customers can learn about HP Subscription by visiting: www.hp.com/go/subscribe.
For large corporate and enterprise organizations, HP will offer a full suite of services, including client configuration and deployment services, to help customers migrate and transform to Windows 10. Leveraging its experience with Windows XP to Windows 7 migrations, HP will help customers assess, prepare and deploy Windows 10 in alignment with their workplace and mobility initiatives.Channel Opportunity with HP
HP has a proven track record in working with partners to move customers to new hardware and operating systems. The Windows XP migration program was a $21 billion opportunity for channel partners, and HP helped partners nearly triple their growth rates year over year10, through industry-leading training and partner certification programs.
For Windows 10, HP is providing the channel a blueprint to drive customer migrations11, including:
- Partner education and training, along with competency branding
- Development support for marketing plans, along with additional marketing funds to support Windows 10 migration efforts with customers
- Co-branded marketing assets and other co-marketing materials
- Partner incentives, including new business opportunity boosters, and other incentive programs
“HP actively partnered with Tech Data in using Windows 10 to build upon sales opportunities for our solution providers,” said Brian Davis, senior vice president, U.S. Marketing, Tech Data. “Tech Data’s HP Solutions Group worked with HP to create a dedicated sales and marketing plan for Windows 10 that will enable our solution providers to set up, optimize, and win in the market.”
“HP’s campaign for the launch of Windows 10 will create tremendous business opportunities for the channel,” Amy Protexter, vice president, marketing, Insight Enterprises.
Additional materials and assets for partners on Windows 10 will be available on the HP Unison Partner Portal at https://partner.hp.com/.Pricing, Offers and Availability12
- The BANG & OLUFSEN limited edition of the HP EliteBook Folio 1020 is expected to be available in the fall. Pricing for the product will be set closer to its availability date.
- HP Pro Tablet 608 is expected to be available in August, starting at $429, or as low as $15.40 per month for three years through HP Subscription, with HP three-year Advanced Exchange Care Pack13 .
- Limited-time offers:
- Add Helpdesk (part of HP Care) to your three-year HP Subscription for an additional monthly fee, and get Helpdesk free for one year.
- With any new HP Windows device, get one free call to HP Helpdesk for assistance with set up and migration to Windows 10.
- Get 60 days of Helpdesk for free when selecting a one-year Helpdesk Care Pack.
- Get 30 days of Helpdesk for free when selecting a six-month Helpdesk subscription (minimum) (HP.com only).
To learn more about Windows 10 for businesses, visit http://www.hp.com/go/WIN10forbusiness.
1Based on business class notebooks as of January 9, 2015 with >1 million unit annual sales having pre-installed encryption, authentication, malware protection and BIOS-level protection, passing MIL STD 810G tests, with optional docking incorporating power delivery.
2Desktop Operating System Market Share, June 2015, NetApp (11.98% of users have Windows XP; 60.98% of users have Windows 7)
3Device Guard is only available for installation through HP Custom Integration Services to enterprise customers with a volume license to use Windows 10 Enterprise and requires Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0. Device Guard is not available with Windows 10 Pro. Windows Hello and Microsoft Passport require advanced hardware. See www.windows.com/windows10upgrade.
4HP Touchpoint Manager supports Android™, iOS and Windows operating systems and PCs, notebooks, tablets and smartphones from various manufacturers. Not available in all countries see www.hp.com/touchpoint for availability information. Touchpoint Manager requires purchase of a subscription. Out-of-band HP only Wipe, Lock, Unlock and reporting of BIOS boot error codes is available on select HP EliteBooks and select HP Elite x2 devices requires an internet connection, Intel® vPro™ technology and functions in S3/Sleep, S4/Hibernate and S5/Soft Off power states. SATA drives are wiped. The remote wipe of Self Encrypting Drives that have hardware encryption active is not supported.
5Based on business class notebooks as of January 9, 2015 with >1 million unit annual sales having pre-installed encryption, authentication, malware protection and BIOS-level protection, passing MIL STD 810G tests, with optional docking incorporating power delivery.
6Cortana experience may vary by device and region.
7Internet access required.
8HP Subscription is now available to customers in: France, Germany, Ireland, Spain, United Kingdom and the United States. Alternative financing options are available outside these countries. Learn more by visiting the HP partner portal or contacting their HP Business Manager.
9Financing and service offerings available through Hewlett-Packard Financial Services Company and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively HPFSC) in certain countries and is subject to credit approval and execution of standard HPFSC documentation. Subscriptions to use are available for 24 or 36 month terms. Rates and terms are based on customer’s credit rating, offering types, services, software and/or equipment type and options. Not all customers may qualify. Not all services or offers are available in all countries. Other restrictions may apply. HPFSC reserves the right to change or cancel this program at any time without notice.
1014.5% YoY Growth of XP Migration Accounts vs. 5.1% YoY Growth of Non-XP Migration Accounts (AMS). Source: HP XP Migration Metrics Update.
11Programs dependent on agreed-upon plans between HP and partner.
12Estimated U.S. street prices. Actual prices may vary.
13Example provided assumes minimum order of 50 HP Pro Tablet 608 products. Helpdesk offers are available starting on July 29. For more information on Helpdesk, visit www.hp.com/go/helpdesk.
Microsoft and Windows are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. For DTS patents, see http://patents.dts.com. Manufactured under license from DTS Licensing Limited. DTS, the Symbol, & DTS and the Symbol together are registered trademarks, and DTS Studio Sound is a trademark of DTS, Inc. © DTS, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. With the broadest technology portfolio spanning printing, personal systems, software, services and IT infrastructure, HP delivers solutions for customers’ most complex challenges in every region of the world. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com