Constellation Energy, an industry leader in the sale, distribution, and generation of electricity, did not have a centralized or strategic management system for its imaging and printing.
Business units were responsible for acquiring their own printers and consumables. The result was a wide range of models and manufacturers that created support headaches for helpdesk staff and space problems for the extensive inventory of spare parts and consumables needed to keep the aging fleet up and available. Copiers were no better. Contracts were often rolled without consideration for cost, past performance, or device suitability. Moreover, across the organization user-to-device ratios were inconsistent.
In short, Constellation Energy had an imaging and printing environment that Senior Vice President and CIO Beth Perlman suspected was costing the company money and productivity. Her solution: outsourcing.
Compelling business case in hand, Perlman selected HP Imaging and Printing Services to execute the proposed outsourcing strategy.
Reduce user-to-device ratio and provide visibility to all imaging and printing costs.
HP’s Managed Print Services, with level pay option. HP evaluated the current state, made recommendations for updating and consolidating devices, and then worked with Constellation Energy to deploy the new devices, centralizing print management and service.
- Printer/copier/fax fleet of 3,000 devices reduced to 1,000.
- Less IT staff time devoted to printer support issues.
- Approximately 18 percent annual savings.
- Maintenance burden reduced by consolidating fewer devices and fewer models.
- Reduction in cost and number of supply items that have to be inventoried.
- Repair time reduced.
- Employee productivity increased with enhanced capabilities closer to the desktop, including scanning and network fax capability.
- Flexibility to make individual device or fleet changes in response to business needs.