Since 2005, HP has used more than 32 million pounds of recycled plastic resin(5) in more than 565 million inkjet print cartridges.(6)
(1) See Climate and Energy - Operations.
(2) One metric tonne is equivalent to 2,205 pounds.
(3) Total weight of the Golden Gate Bridge, anchorages and approaches as of 1986:1,773,979,658 pounds (804,525 metric tonnes). Source: http://goldengatebridge.org/research/factsGGBDesign.php.
(4) These goals were updated this year to distinguish reuse from recycling and increase the overall amount of the target.
(5) Through the end of fiscal year 2008; at least 50 percent recycled plastic by weight, minimum 95 percent post-consumer.
(6) This is a large increase over the cumulative total HP announced in early 2008 (200 million inkjet print cartridges). HP has been working with suppliers to accurately account for the recycled content it uses. In 2008, HP reconciled recycled plastic usage from one of its large resin suppliers; that usage is now included in HP's totals.
See full HP Environmental History (PDF)